How Much Does a PDA Cost?
A PDA, or Personal Digital Assistant, is also known as palmtop computer and is a mobile device that functions as a personal information manager. PDAs have electronic displays; most of the available PDAs today can connect to the internet, which has become a necessity for those who have busy schedules to keep track of appointments and other tasks. PDAs mostly have touch screen functions as well as a virtual keyboard that makes it convenient for users. The price for the PDA mainly depends on its features and capabilities.
How much is it?
- The price for the PDA depends on several factors. There are several manufacturers such as HP, Palm, and Dell that sell PDAs for both individuals and professionals. On average, a PDA is going to cost anywhere from $60 to $500. Generally, the more features a PDA has, the higher the price will be.
- PDAs have stood the test of time because their features were ahead of time when they were released. There are several used PDAs sold online that have been refurbished which makes their condition very good. The price for used PDAs can cost anywhere between $45 and $200.
- For example, the PalmOne m500 manufactured by Palm comes equipped with a touchscreen as well as applications such as a calendar, task manager, calculator and more. This particular model retails for $62 to $110.
- A higher end popular model such as the Palm TX Handheld comes with a color touch screen, WI-FI capabilities, as well as an expansion slot; this PDA retails for $299 to $350.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs involves the extra applications that you will have to buy in order to to use all the files that you put onto your PDA. These applications vary from games to documents to picture editors, and the price will greatly vary from one to another.
- A case may be required to protect the PDA from scratches. There are also special cleaner wipes to keep the screen clean.
- Higher end PDAs can use external devices such as a keyboard, which makes it easier to type rather than using the stylus.
- Extra styluses and batteries are optional but may be necessary just in case of an emergency in the future.
- Car chargers, as well as additional wall or computer chargers, may be purchased for an extra cost.
What is going to be included?
- Included with the PDA are the cables necessary to charge the item as well as to connect it to the computer to put in files.
- The PDA will also include the software for the operating system, which will be the main software that runs the device such as the Palm OS.
- Depending on the PDA, some have WI-FI capabilities that allow you to connect to local hot spots.
Top brands to consider:
How can I save money?
- Some of the features that the PDAs have can be found in conventional cellular phones which can be cheaper. You may want to consider buying a cell phone instead of getting an expensive PDA.
- Since a PDA is becoming obsolete, consider checking refurbished ones on sites such as eBay.