How Much Does a Pergola Cost?
A Pergola, also known as an “arbor” or “arbour,” is a shaded area that is placed along walkways or a sitting area. Similar to a gazebo, a pergola will have a lattice based roof that is open to the sky. Made of wood, the cost of a pergola is going to depend on the size, the complexity of the job, as well as the professional contractor doing the job.
How much is it?
- On average, a pergola can cost anywhere from $20 to $55 per square foot depending on the geographical location. Most pergolas will be within the $2,500 and $8,000 range. The size and type of material will greatly influence the overall price.
- For example, a 10×10 pergola made of a composite wood could cost anywhere from $2,000 to $5,500 by a professional. If the same 10×10 pergola is made from vinyl or a cedar wood, the cost could easily double.
- Kits can also be purchased either online or through a local hardware stores. These kits are going to include all the necessary equipment necessary to build it as well as plans and instructions. These kits can be in the $500 to $5,500 price range. The kits will be based on the type of material need, the complexity of the design, as well as the size and depth needed.
- For example, the store BackyardAmerica.com sells vinyl kits that range anywhere from $2,000 to $6,000. This same website can also allow the user to build their own plans and it will give you an idea on what the supplies are going to cost you.
What are the extra costs?
- If doing yourself, additional tools will be needed such as concrete, drills, saw, and more.
- If a professional is going to be hired, contractors will more than likely charge by the hour, the square footage, or based on the total job.
- Depending on the size of the pergola as well as the local city laws, a permit may be required to build one. Be sure to check with your local city to see what the regulations are.
- Custom design plans can be drawn up by various companies if you are not finding a good design plan online.
- Since most pergolas don’t come with a form of shade, a screen or canopy can be an additional cost. Other accessories such as lights can also be an additional optional expense.
What is going to be included?
- If a kit is purchased, it will include all the necessary materials and plans in order to complete the job yourself. These kits include the strings, inserts, posts to install, as well as the concrete mounts. Most brands are going to include the step-by-step instructions on how it can be properly set up.
How can I save money?
- If hiring a professional, consider using services such as Service Magic to find the best quote in your area. It is always best to check with at least 3 contractors before signing up with one.
- Consider purchasing a kit and trying out the job yourself. By reading the directions, it should give you a good idea on whether you are going to know how to do the job properly. If the directions tend to be too hard, a professional can always be brought in.