How Much Does a Peridot Cost?
A peridot is a gemstone known for its natural color of olive green; it is one of the few gemstones that occurs in only one color. This gemstone is the birthstone of those who were born in the month of August. Because of its characteristics, this stone is often mistaken as an emerald. A peridot can be sold attached to a piece of jewelry or sold individually as well. The price of this gemstone depends on the color of the peridot, the quality and the jeweler selling the gem.
How much is it?
- On average, a high quality peridot can cost anywhere from $50 to $200 per carat. Larger peridots that are exported from foreign countries can cost as much as $500 per carat.
- Poor quality peridots are going to cost less than a higher quality. Keep in mind that poor quality peridots are more common that you think. Be sure to look for a pale color or even a tint of brown color. These are usually not that attractive if you look at it closely. Higher quality ones will be more colorful.
- Jewelry such as a necklace or pair or earrings can cost anywhere from $15 to $300 depending on the size of the peridot.
- For example, a natural 6MM 0.85ct Solitair Pendant can retail for $45 to $125. A pair of 1ct earrings could retail for $25 to $75.
- According to the site Arizona-Peridot.com, the price for low quality peridots can range anywhere from $50 to $150, while higher quality peridots can range from $300 to $500.
- An eCommerce store such as MineralMiners.com sell peridots with varying qualities. Peridots with different shades of green are sold on this site and can range in price from $60 to $1,000. GemSelect.com provides plenty of information regarding various types of gemstones. The price for peridots sold by this site can range from $5 to $80.
What are the extra costs?
- Options are available if you want to have this gemstone attached to a specific piece of jewelry. Peridots are commonly purchased separately and later attached to pieces of jewelry such as pendants or earrings.
- Gemstones that are transferred from foreign countries can cost significantly more than those that are purchased within the United States.
What is going to be included?
- Peridots can be bought in their raw form while there are some sold already attached to different pieces of jewelry. The jewelry to which it is attached can be different depending on the buyer’s preference.
How can I save money?
- There are several jewelers online as well as in-store that sell peridots. This competitive market is a good opportunity to find a store that can sell the stone at the lowest price possible.
- Stores often sell their products at discounted prices. Search for stores that have special offers or sales to help you save a few dollars on your purchase.
- Be weary of those that are charging too much or even too little. If you want to get a second opinion on the peridot, it doesn’t hurt to meet with a certified jeweler.