How Much Does a Pig Roast Cost?
A pig roast is a great way to feed a lot of guests at a party such as a birthday, retirement or just a summer day get together. Most pig roasts are held by professional catering companies, but the pigs themselves can often be purchased for those that have the necessary equipment needed to roast one. The cost of a pig roast is going to widely vary depending upon the size of the pig, the number of people that ned to be fed, the distance that has to be traveled, and other various factors.
How much does a pig roast cost?
- There are two ways a catering company is going to charge when it comes to a pig roast – you will either be charged per person or one flat fee no matter the number of guests. Those that charge a flat rate will often tell you how many people that they are going to be able to feed ahead of time.
- For companies that charge on a per-person basis, the cost will fall between $9 and $17 per person. The more people that a catering company has to cook for, the less you will have to pay per person. Note that there is often a minimum rate.
- For example, the catering company ThePigKahuna.com charges $13.50 for parties under 99 people, with a minimum of 50 people. If the party has 100 to 175 people, the rate can go down to $12.50 per person.
- Flat rate catering companies will often charge anywhere from $650 to as much as $2,000 per pig. This will include the cooking, preparing of food, and the clean up process.
- For those that want to cook the pig on their own, a pig can often be picked up at a local farm for $200 to $500. These pigs are often already slaughtered and prepped for a roast.
What are the extra costs?
- Many catering companies will often offer side dishes for the meal. These dishes can include salads, baked beans, cornbread, vegetables, rice, and chicken. Each item can vary anywhere from $1 to $6 per dish, per person.
- The market can often influence the price of the pig. Plan on spending anywhere from $1.20 to as much as $2 per pound for the pig alone.
- Most catering companies will deliver and set up within a certain radius. If the delivery is outside the radius, additional fees can apply.
- Cleaning fees can apply as some catering companies will only setup, serve and leave. If a company does charge an additional cleaning fee, this can range from $50 to $100 extra.
- If you are going to cook the pig on your own, a pig roaster will be recommended. Many local shops can rent one out for as little as $50 for the day.
What is going to be included?
- The pig will be delivered to an event a few hours ahead of time since it can often take upwards of eight hours to roast a pig. Upon arrival, the pig will continue to roast until it is done. Once done, it will be cut and served accordingly. If there are any other side dishes, these will be set up as well.
- All the necessary settings such as plates, napkins and tableware will be provided.
Tips to know:
- Catering companies can be rather busy during the peak seasons. If possible, try to book a pig roast as soon as possible to ensure that your date has been reserved.
- While some catering companies do not do this, some can offer samples. Try to sample a taste of their food before deciding on one.
- On average, one pig can feed 100 to 125 people.
How can I save money?
- There is a good chance that you will be able to find many catering companies in your area that can provide this service. Consider talking with at least three companies to ensure that you are getting the best deal.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|