How Much Does a Plumber Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Plumbers are skilled people that are responsible for installing and maintaining systems for potable water, sewage and drainage systems. When something goes wrong with the plumbing, many people try to fix the problem themselves. There are many things that the average person can accomplish in order to repair a plumbing problem. However, there are also many instances of the problem getting even worse when a laymen attempts to fix things, especially if he does not have the right tools. If certain problems with plumbing go unattended, the problem can escalate and cost even more money. For these types of problems, a professional plumber needs to be called. Plumbers are experts in all things related to drainage, and they can repair those plumbing issues which you do not have enough experience to perform.
How much does a plumber cost?
- Plumbers offer their services at different rates depending on several factors. There are local plumbers that provide personal services and are only available to a small radius. There are also plumbers that are part of a bigger organization, and they are deployed whenever they are contacted by a potential customer. The cost can change depending on the skill, experience, and location of the plumber. The price may also change depending on the problem the plumber finds.
- On average, plan on spending anywhere from $15 to as much as $45 per hour. Aside from the hourly fee, most contractors will charge a flat rate to visit a residence or business. This flat fee can range anywhere from $30 to $60.
- You can expect to pay anywhere from $17 to $26 for a journeyman plumber. You can also expect to pay a master plumber from $17 to $30. Expect to spend anywhere from $13 to $24 for apprentice to lead plumber.
- ELocalPlumbers.com is an online resource that allows you to check the prices for different plumbing services located all throughout the country. This site shows listings for different plumbers which can be viewed and sorted based on your own location. For the prices of the plumbers listed on this site, the plumber cost ranges anywhere from $15 to $26.00 per hour. Some plumbers would have a required minimum number of hours worked.
What is going to be included?
- When you hire a plumber, they will visit your place and check all the necessary parts that need to be fixed. While in your house, the plumber will determine and examine the pipes and drainage system, and he will clean up after he finishes the job. Once the problem has been found, the plumber will tell you exactly how much the entire job is going to cost.
- Basic parts that need replacement will be provided by the plumber. He will also have his own set of tools with which he can make repairs.
What are the extra costs?
- A plumber usually charges by the hour and it is possible that the job may require several hours to accomplish. Keep in mind that plumbers will visit your place, and they may charge for transportation fee if your location is far from their offices.
- If additional parts or labor is required, expect to pay additional for parts. If an additional plumber needs to be brought to the scene, it is best to budget for additional man hours. Complex jobs that require tearing apart drywall and fixtures can greatly bring up the price. For example, installing a new tub can well exceed $1,000 to $3,000 depending on your area.
- Emergency calls that occur at night or on the weekends can often double or even triple the price.
Tips to know:
- As mentioned above, plan on spending a flat fee just for a visit. It is very hard to find a plumber that offers a free estimate.
- Always check the plumber’s reputation when working with them. If possible, ask for references of customers who have used their services in the past.
- If certain plumbing problems are ignored, you could end up spending thousands of dollars for repairs. In extreme cases, your drainage system can back up and even affect you yard and surround areas. Calling a plumber is a much better solution; even though it costs more than a do-it-yourself job, it will potentially save you a lot of money.
How can I save money?
- To be able to save money, you need to make sure that you check a plumber that is available within your area. This would cut cost on transportation fee that they may charge if they come from afar. To find a great plumber in your area, consider looking at websites such as ServiceMagic.com. Also, try to make an appointment during regular business hours so you do not have to deal with the high cost of an emergency call.
- Some jobs actually are not that hard to perform. Consider researching the problem ahead of time to see if it is something that you can fix. Problems such as a leaky faucet or toilet can easily be replaced by buying a repair kit at your local hardware store.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|