How Much Does a PSP Cost?
The PSP, short for PlayStation Portable, is a handheld device that can be used to play video games, watch movies, listen to music, or even surf the web.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of a PSP depends on the brand, condition and where it’s purchased from.
- On average, a PSP costs from $100 to $275. The PSP Portable 3000, for example, retails for $99 while the PSPgo retails for $270.
- On the other hand, according to Mike Jackson’s article posted on Computerandvideogames.com, major US retailers, GameStop and EB Games, have dropped the price of the PSP Core Packs by $30 from $199.99 to $169.99. The Entertainment Pack is currently retailing for $250.
$50 (used) to $200 (new)
$50 (used) to $200 (new)
$70 (used) to $100 (new)
$65 (used) to $270 (new)
$150 (used) to $250 (new)
What is going to be included?
- All models will vary from one another. For example, the Core Pack is the most basic package and includes only the PSP, the battery, and the adapter. It lacks, however, the 1GB Memory Stick and UMD that comes with the Entertainment Pack.
- Most models will include a USB 2.0 port, a serial port, headphones, a memory stick PRO, wireless connectivity options, 32MB+ RAM, a 3.8 inch to 4.3 inch screen and a 5V DC battery.
- As of 2013, the available models include the 1000, 2000, 3000, PSPGo and the E1000. Currently, the 1000 and 2000 are no longer in production and will therefore only be found used.
- Newer models such as the Vita include 3G coverage, a 5-inch touchscreen, front cameras, rear pads, GPS, and flash-based storage.
- Some sellers of PSP may include shipping or delivery costs with the selling price. Try to ask them before doing the purchase regarding the terms and conditions for shipping or delivery of their product.
- Purchasing a PSP includes a warranty in case of problems caused by manufacturing defects.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional fees may be charged for shipping or delivery, especially if you make your purchase online or when you buy your PSP from other states.
- A game costs at least $9.99 and can go up from there depending on the title that is purchased.
- There are many accessories that will be needed for your PSP.
- A protective case is suggested so that the PSP will not incur any damage if dropped. These protective cases can vary in size, color, and material; they can cost from $5 to $50.
- A carrying case is also a good idea since the PSP is a portable device. These carrying cases will have multiple pockets for carrying things such as games, chargers, ear buds, etc.
- Because you are able to watch movies and listen to music, you will probably wants a set of ear plugs. These may sometimes come with the product, or they can be purchased separately for $5 – $30.
- As an added form of protection, screen covers can be purchased. These are transparent sheets that are placed on the screen to keep it from being scratched.
- If you would like additional memory, you can buy a separate memory card to store music, movies, etc.
Tips to know
- Shop around for prices of the PSP. You can do some research online by checking out sites selling PSP or calling and visiting stores in your region. This will help you determine the best deal.
- There are many options when it comes to handheld or portable gaming devices. Make sure you do some research to figure out which kind you want. Consider things such as the type of games that can be played and the capabilities of the system.
How can I save money?
- You can save money by purchasing a PSP during sales or promos. Watch out for sales or discounted rates in your local mall or stores.
- You can also save money by purchasing a slightly used or second hand PSP because these are cheaper than a brand new one. Just make sure that the PSP is still in good condition. A used PSP can be as little as $70. You can also purchase a refurbished PSP. Refurbished means that it was purchased and returned with a defect, but this defect has been fixed and is guaranteed.