How Much Does a Pumpkin Cost?
A pumpkin is a gourd-like squash which originated from North America. If you love vegetables, then you should try adding pumpkins in your diet. They are used for various recipes from soups to dishes and desserts. They are not only delicious but also healthy and good for the body as pumpkins are rich in vitamins such as Vitamin A and minerals. Aside from being a favorite dish, pumpkins are also popular during Halloween, being used Jack o’ lanterns. Purchasing a pumpkin during this time is very easy since they are sold everywhere. However, finding pumpkins elsewhere can be very tough throughout the rest of the year. The cost of pumpkins can either refer to the cost of purchasing a pumpkin or the cost of growing your own pumpkins.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of pumpkins may vary depending on several factors. For instance, the location, size, weight, store or seller, may have an impact on the cost. Places that sell pumpkins are either going to charge you by the pound or a flat rate. If by the pound, pumpkins are going to cost around $0.20 to $0.70 per pound. If it is a flat rate, most pumpkins that are smaller than the average hand will cost less than $1-$3 while larger pumpkins can cost an average of $3-$10.
- According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the average retail price for a pumpkin is around $4.80.
- On the other hand, pumpkins may be priced by type. A traditional orange pumpkin usually costs around $2.99. “Fairy-tale” pumpkins, which come in unusual shapes and colors from beige to gray, cost $5.99. Mini pumpkins cost $0.99 each. This is according to shermanoaks.patch.com.
- If you want to grow your own pumpkins, you will first need to purchase pumpkin seeds. These will cost from $4 o $10 per pound depending on the type and amount. There are some seeds that you can buy for a specific type of pumpkin, or you can buy a generic pack. For more information, see: “How Much Do Pumpkin Seeds Cost?”
What is going to be included?
- A pumpkin is a gourd-like squash of the genus Cucurbita and the family Cucurbitaceae.
- Pumpkins have a thick, orange or yellow shell, creased from the stem to the bottom, containing the seeds and the pulp. They are widely grown for commercial used and its usage includes both in food and recreation.
- Pumpkins range in size from less than 1 pound to more than 1,000 pounds. Generally, pumpkin stems are more rigid, prickly, and angular (with an approximate five-degree angle) than squash stems, which are generally softer, more rounded, and more flared where joined to the fruit.
- The cost of pumpkins may include the cost of handling, packaging, shipping, or delivery.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be incurred for handling, packaging, shipping, and delivery of pumpkins especially when you purchase them online or from other states or areas. Ask the store, market, or seller for the terms or conditions included in shipping or delivery.
- Growing your own pumpkins would also require additional costs to cover labor, fertilizers, harvesting, and related costs.
Tips to know
- Shop around for the cost of pumpkins in your local market, grocery store, or online store. Try to get price estimates and then compare prices to get the best deal. Most companies are more than happy to provide a quote over the phone. Many stores, such as Walmart and popular grocery stores sell pumpkins for a low cost.
- If you decide to grow pumpkins, learn how to grow them by doing some research online or by asking tips from friends and people who have tried growing them. Here are some tips:
- Purchasing good seeds is the first step to growing quality pumpkins. Pumpkin seeds can last up to 50 years, but it would be best to purchase seeds that are fresh.
- The area in which you plant the pumpkins will make a huge difference. Pumpkins need a lot of sunlight and room to grow. If you have a patch that is along the back of your property, for instance, the pumpkins will have room to thrive.
- Pumpkin seeds should not be planted too early since the smallest amount of frost can kill the buds. You should wait until the temperature averages 70 degrees. Planting at the beginning of June should be perfect in most places.
- Pumpkin seeds should be planted about 1-2 inches below the surface and should sprout within 7 to 10 days. Pumpkins do need a lot of water, you should only water them when the soil is not already moist.
How can I save money?
- You can save money by taking advantage of promos or discounted rates when you buy pumpkins. Some sellers provide discounted rates for bulk purchases. You can ask friends or neighbors to purchase their pumpkins with you.
- If you have the land, consider growing your own. They are easy to grow and you can potentially sell the left overs that you do not use.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|