How Much Does a Radar Gun Cost?
Radar guns are radio transmitters that send out radio wave frequency changes when the wave hits a moving object. The faster the speed of the object, the higher the frequency changes. The extent of the change in radio wave frequency is consistent with the speed of the moving object.
Radar guns are most commonly used by police officers but can also be used to track the speed of someone pitching a baseball or kicking a soccer ball.
How much is it?
- Most sports radar that involves a simple point and shoot mechanism will cost $20 (for a Baseball Laser Ball Speed Radar) to as much as $300 (for those all-purpose radar guns used in golf and tennis).
- For example, this Bushnell Velocity Speed Gun retails for $80 to $100.
- Pocketradar.com sells its products starting at $199.99. These are known to be the smallest radars about the size of a smartphone.
What is going to be included?
- There are two types of radar guns: microwave transmitters and laser transmitters. Microwave sensors are commonly used in sports while the laser ones are the more common radar guns that traffic police use.
- Microwave radar uses the Doppler Effect — a principle that is based on the fact that moving objects, such as golf balls, a hockey puck and baseballs return an echo, which can then be translated to a frequency that shifts in a direct response to the speed of the object. The greater the speed, the greater the echo or frequency. Most microwave radar guns operate at the following frequencies: 10.525GHz (known as the X-Band), 24.150 GHz (known as the K band) and the Ka band which between 33.4 and 36 GHz.
- Laser radars, on the other hand, send a narrow infrared pulse and measures the time for that pulse to reflect back when it hits the object. These are the types of lasers used by traffic police.
- Popular brands of radar guns include Carson, Leica, Bushnell, Energizer, JUGS, Nikon, Panasonic, Pentax and Swift.
- A radar gun is commonly used for baseball, softball, golf, tennis, racing, swings, archery, RC cars and paintball. The readings of the radar gun can great motivate the person to achieve their next goal.
What are the extra costs?
- There are extra accessories that you will need to get for you to have a good experience with a radar gun especially if this is part of the equipment you need to help improve your game. Make provision in your budget to purchase things like LED displays that will make the radar gun more efficient. Sometimes the most expensive purchase is not the radar gun; for example, a LED screen display can cost upwards of $600 or more, depending on the size.
- A tripod and mount for the radar are vital to its accuracy and ease of use. Trying to use the radar gun by holding and pointing it can be exhausting and can cause the readings to be less accurate since your hands are not always steady. A tripod can allow you to adjust the height for whatever you need while, with the mount, allowing the radar gun to remain still and steady.
- Most radar guns will run on batteries. Over time, these batteries will have to be replaced.
Tips to know:
- You need to stand completely still when you are using a radar gun to make sure that you get an accurate reading.
- Radar guns should preferably be used in clear sunny weather. Rain and fog can reduce the range of the radar, forcing you to move closer than you have needed to on a clear day.
How can I save money?
- If you are on a strict budget, consider buying used radar guns on Craigslist or eBay.
- When purchasing online, compare a handful of retailers before purchasing. When you find a radar gun that is worth investing in, be sure to keep your eyes peeled for coupon codes and special promotions.
- If you are part of any main sports organization, chances are good that they have a radar gun that you could use. However, if you would like to have access to it whenever you like, then you are better off purchasing your own.