How Much Does a Rose Cost?
The rose is the most popular and well-known flower for people to give to a loved one. Even though a giant bouquet of roses is a popular floral arrangement, many people choose to present their loved ones with a single rose due to the quiet elegance it exudes. A single rose is known to mean “I love you.” In many instances, the cost of a rose is minimal in comparison with a whole bouquet of roses. However, there are single-rose floral designs that can cost a lot more. This price will depend on the florist, the type of rose used, the length of the stem and the accouterments that go with it.
How much does it cost?
- Generally, single roses sold at various flower shops can cost $2 per stem or $9.99 to $85 for a dozen.
- At FTD.com, an internet and telephone marketer of flowers and specialty gifts, the cost of 3 ½-ft and a 4-ft single-stem brilliant red roses in stylish tower vases starts at $69.99. The roses feature a large flower head measuring 5-6 inches across.
- Judy’s Flowers and Gifts, a florist in Southern Oregon, offers single roses in a bud vase for $14.99.
- Mr. Roses Farms, a producer of long stem roses, sells a box of 200 16-inch single roses individually wrapped in cellophane at $197.99 ($0.99 each). Colors need to be specified for every 50 roses. Available colors are cream, yellow, pink, hot pink, bi-color yellow and orange, and red.
What is going to be included?
- With many florists, single rose purchases may include the necessary packaging and a complimentary personalized gift message.
- Most florists will offer different packages, such as something simple like a single rose in simple wrapping to something more intricate like a large stem and rose in a decorative vase with matching decorations.
- Depending on the florist, service fees may be included in the price of the single rose arrangement. Fees for orders made via phone may be higher compared with orders placed online.
- Most flower purchases will come with some type of care instructions as well as a packet of “flower food” that should be mixed with the water. This will help the flower stay fresh for longer.
What are the extra costs?
- Online florists charge service fees for orders placed online or by phone.
- If you purchase a simple rose, you may need to buy a vase in which your loved one can place the rose.
- If you would like to have a single rose delivered to your loved one at home or work, you will have to pay delivery charges.
Factors that influence the price:
- Size. The size and length of the rose contributes to its price. Super-long roses, like those measuring 6 feet in height, cost about $260, while a single-stem four-foot rose can cost $70. The traditional 18 inch stem will be the cheapest.
- Occasion. Special occasions in which consumers purchase flowers can cause a significant increases in prices. Valentine’s Day is one of the most popular seasons for giving flowers, with roses being the most purchased of all flowers. Rose prices increase during this time because growers increase their prices since roses will be in such high demand. The cost of roses is typically 50 percent more than what floral shops pay around this time of the year.
- Arrangement. The price of the rose can change depending on the arrangement that you choose. Roses that are simply wrapped in paper will be much cheaper than those in a vase.
- Production. Special variety roses grown in special conditions often cost more. For example, gigantic roses cultivated in Ecuador’s volcanic soil are ordinarily left on the stem for approximately four months. In comparison, typical roses take only two months.
- Weather conditions. Production of flowers in farms can be affected by weather patterns. Fluctuations in the weather can bring about an adjustment in the prices of flowers sold.
Tips to know:
- Buy from sources that ship directly from the farm and use overnight delivery services.
- If ordering from rose farms, a minimum number of days prior to preferred delivery date may be required.
- After purchasing roses, cut the stems at a 45-degree angle by a few centimeters to keep them from wilting sooner. Cutting them while they are under water is also a suggestion.
- When sending the rose, it is recommended to have the flower hand-delivered rather than sent in a box. This does not only add a special touch, but it also protects the flower from handling damage. However, this can be much more expensive.
How can I save money?
- Ask about free shipping. Some rose suppliers provide will ship for free on given days.
- It is often cheaper to order and purchase roses during the off-season.
- Buy wholesale to get substantial discounts on rose purchases. Check wholesale websites for current deals and offers. Amazon, Costco and eBay are also good sources for finding bulk roses sold at wholesale prices.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|