How Much Does a Safari Cost?
Whether you want to a Safari in the United States, or maybe you want to attend an authentic one in Africa, you’re going to find that the prices are going to widely vary depending on what you want to do, where you want to go, etc.
How much is it?
- There are many types of Safaris out there. There are those where you can stay for days, while there are some that have you just stay during the day. A low budget safari trip that includes a basic campsite and 1-2 day adventure can range from $100 to $300 a day per person. A budget safari includes camping, backpacking and a guide.
- For those that want to take a week long camping trip in East Africa, this can run anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 a person for 6-10 days.
- For an Africa Safari trip in a place such as Zimbabwe, this can run anywhere from $350 to $800 a person.
- The more you pay, the more luxuries you will get. A four star lodge safari trip can run $250 to $450 a day. HowStuffWorks has a great guide on the overall picture on how they work.
- In Kenya, a safari averages $650 to $800 per person per day.
- In Tanzania, a safari can range anywhere from $900 to $1200 a day.
- In a place such as Australia, this can vary anywhere from $600 to $850 per person per day.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the safari, this is going to include a campsite, a tour guide, and some potential supplies.
- Most tour guides will also include a packet / map to show you where you’re at, as well as what kind of animals that you’re going to be able to see.
What are the extra costs?
- The more luxuries you want, the more you’re going to have to pay in terms of your hotel. Higher stared hotels are going to cost you more.
- Private tours, rather than group tours are going to be a lot more.
- Food, drinks and more are all more than likely going to be extra.
- Flights in-between the safaris are going to cost more than having a safari drive you. These fees are going to be additional for those that want to go on more than one safari during their trip.
Tips to know:
- Since a safari package can be rather complex, it may be ideal to have a travel agent work for you. While these agents do work on some sort of commission, they can help with booking the airline ticket, booking the safari as well as working out the lodging.
- Since you’re going to be traveling out of the country, it’s wise to pick up an additional health insurance policy as well as consult with a Doctor before making a trip to ensure that you’re up to date with all the vaccinations.
How can I save money?
- Consider going in the off seasons when the demands aren’t high.
- Consider going in groups as group packages are going to be a lot cheaper than going with a private group. AfricanSafariHome.com has a great selection to choose from.