How Much Does a Saxophone Cost?
The prices of saxophones greatly vary according to the brand, type the quality of sound that it produces and where you purchase it from.
How much is it?
- On average, a saxophone can cost anywhere from $300 for a simple student model to as much as $8,500 or more for a professional saxophone. Plan on spending around $1,100 to $4,000 for a durable instrument.
- For those that are just starting off, a beginner’s kit is something to look into. A student model can cost anywhere from $250 to as much as $1,200. For example, the Conductor Model 300 Sax retails for $279 to $550.
- For the intermediate instrumentalist, there are saxophones that range from $1,000 to $1,900 depending on the brand.
- If you are looking for a decent saxophone that is used for professionals, their prices range from $2,000 to as much as $7,000.
- Tenor saxophones can range from $750 to as much as $8,000. Most purchases will be within the $1,100 to $3,200 price range.
- An Alto saxophone can cost anywhere from $250 to $5,000. The Alto sax is ideal for both students and those that are on an intermediate level.
- Baritone saxophones can vary anywhere from $2,600 to as much as $7,000. A soprano saxophone can vary anywhere from $599 to as much as $5,000.
- A higher end sax such as the Contrabass can cost upwards of $15,000 to $32,000 or more.
What are the extra costs?
- You need to buy a method book in order to help you with the music lessons. Sheet music will depend on the songs that you want to learn.
- The free mouthpiece that is supplied with the saxophone is generally not that good in terms of quality; for this reason, it may be better for you to spend extra for a good mouthpiece.
- Other musical accessories such as reeds, neck strap, cork grease, and cleaning cloth must be bought as extra materials.
- For those that want to learn the instrument and reach the next level, saxophone lessons may be needed. See: “How much do saxophone lessons cost?“
What is going to be included?
- An ordinary mouthpiece is included upon buying the instrument. There are also other brands that include musical accessories to help you in the proper handling of your new instrument. These materials include neck strap, cleaning cloth, reeds, and other basic needs.
- Most brands will include a limited warranty that can last up to a lifetime.
Top brands to consider:
- LA Sax
How can I save money?
- If you wanted to buy a brand new saxophone, you can personally look and compare the prices from different stores and ask about its quality and durability. Most of the good instruments come with a popular brand name, meaning a higher price. You may not want to be too cheap with your purchase.
- If you wish to buy a used one, you can search the internet since there are many used instruments being sold over the web. Just make sure that those are of good quality and appearance. Check with eBay and other popular classifieds such as Craigslist.