How Much Does a TWIC Card Cost?
A TWIC, or Transportation Worker Identification Credential, card is a card used by U.S. maritime workers to gain unescorted access to secure locations of port facilities and vessels under the regulation of the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002. TWIC cards are required to control access to secure areas crucial to the port security enhancement. The TWIC is a tamper-resistant “smart card” containing an individual’s biometric (fingerprint) template to allow for a positive link between the card itself and the individual. The TWIC card is valid for five years.
How much does it cost?
- According to the U.S. Navy’s Military Sealift Command, a TWIC card costs $129.75. If the applicant has obtained a similar threat assessment or holds a license, the fee is reduced to $105.25. The TWIC cards can be obtained from TWIC registration offices located in different parts of the country.
- The enrollment fee for a TWIC card, according to the Transportation Security Administration, is $129.75. The fee is reduced to $105.25 for employees with similar background checks. The card’s expiration date is 5 years from the date of the comparable credential.
- A TWIC card, as stated at TWICCard.com, costs $129.75. The fee is reduced to $105.25 for those who hold a valid MMD, an HME, or a FAST card.
- At the Marathon Petroleum Corporation‘s refinery contractor credentials website, the cost of a TWIC card is $132.50. The TWIC card is required at the company’s Catlettsburg refinery in Catlettsburg, KY. Applicants are required to submit two types of identification: (1) a government-issued ID such as a passport or driver’s license, and (2) a social security card, a marriage certificate, a birth certificate, or a DOT physical card. The turnaround time from enrollment until activation of the card is typically 3 to 4 weeks, which can extend when eligibility problems or insufficient information issues arise.
What is going to be included?
- The TWIC card is a minimum employment requirement for maritime employment. It is obtained by submitting biographic and biometric data including fingerprints and a digital photo, as well as passing a security threat assessment provided by the Transport Security Administration (TSA). Individuals who comply with TWIC eligibility requirements will be provided with the tamper-resistant credential, which provides a positive link between the holder and the card.
- TWIC cards are mandatory for Coast-Guard merchant mariners, port facility personnel, long shore employees as well as truck drivers and other workers and individuals who need unescorted entry to secure locations in maritime vessels and facilities. The validity of a TWIC card is five years, unless the expiration date is based on a similar credential.
- An individual must be a U.S. citizen or categorized in an eligible immigration classification. He must not lack mental capacity, must not have been convicted of any crime, and must not be connected to terrorist activity.
What are the extra costs?
- A lost, stolen, or damaged TWIC card entails a replacement charge of $60. For those who wish to obtain an Extended Expiration Date (EED) TWIC, the charge is $60.
Tips to know:
- The TWIC card is about the size of a credit card and uses the smart card technology. It is payable by credit card, certified check, or money order.
- During an enrollment, applicants are obliged to visit the enrollment center and present biographic data, provide the required identity verification documents, provide a complete set of fingerprints, sit for a digital photograph, and sign a disclosure form.
- Security threat assessment includes checks against immigration databases, criminal history records, and terrorist watch lists.
- The enrollment and issuance of a TWIC card can take up to 18 months. Make sure that you do everything on time and in order to save yourself time and hassle. If you card expires before you have been issued a new one, you may be in trouble.
How to save money:
- The price for the TWIC card is non-negotiable. However, you will save yourself time and money by going through all the procedures on time and by getting everything done when it is supposed to be done. Taking care of your card and not losing it will also save you money on replacement fees.