How Much Does a Vizsla Cost?
A Vizsla is a dog breed that originated from Hungary. Known as a sporting dog, this breed is one of the smallest types of pointer retrievers today. The Vizsla is great for hunting and is known as a loving family companion dog. The cost of a Vizsla will widely vary depending on a few factors such as the age, the breeder selling, and other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a Vizsla puppy that is older than six to eight weeks can cost anywhere from $700 to as much as $1,200. Remember that a higher price does not necessarily mean that you are getting a high quality dog. Be sure to research the breeder from which you are adopting. It is best to avoid places such as puppy mill breeders.
- On a forum thread on the website VizslaForums.com, users claimed that you should be able to find a puppy that is less than $1,200.
- NextDayPets.com, an online classified ad service for pets, has a wide variety of breeders selling a Vizsla breed. On average, the listings on this site vary anywhere from $700 to around $1,000.
What are the extra costs?
- Obvious maintenance costs in the future such as food, vet visits, and the necessary start-up supplies. It is best to budget about $30 per month to take care of a dog.
- If you want your dog to attend obedience classes and be trained, these classes will cost extra. Getting your pet fixed will also cost more.
- Shipping charges can apply if the dog has to be shipped by an airline. The cost to ship a dog can cost anywhere from $150 to $350.
What is going to be included?
- If the puppy is registered with the AKC, the breeder will provide the appropriate paperwork.
- Most reputable breeders will include all the necessary vaccinations and previous health records. This can also include procedures such as deworming.
- A microchipping procedure could have been done during birth. This allows the owner to find the dog more easily if it gets lost. Higher quality breeds such as a Vizsla often have this procedure performed.
- Shelters and local rescues will include startup packages that include items such as flea control, sample foods, and coupons.
- This type of breed will often have their tails and ears docked.
- Most breeders will include a health guarantee or pet insurance policy that can protect the owner up to 90 days after adoption. If anything comes up in terms of a health condition, the owner will be covered.
Tips to know:
- These dogs are known to be some of the best dogs in terms of training. Equipped with attractive characteristics, this dog is known to throw a lot of devotion to their owners.
- These dogs are required to have some sort of exercise on a daily basis. These dogs aren’ot recommended for those that live in apartments or condos. If the dog is allowed outside, be sure to supervise at all times. Due to their hunting nature, it will be their instincts to want to set out and hunt.
- With any dog adoption, be sure to research the breeder before making any sort of decision.
How can I save money?
- Try working with a local shelter or non-profit such as the Humane Society. While most breeders can be reputable, a shelter can offer lower prices since they are not in the business to make a profit. While rare, if this type of breed can be found at a shelter, it will more than likely be older dogs over the age of two.