How Much Does a VPN Cost?
A VPN, or Cirtual Private Network, can provide the user with extra security when it comes to the internet. Whether you are using the internet for personal or work-related matters, you might consider getting a VPN service to provide you with dedicated connections and encryption. This would give you more security, especially if you use a wireless WiFi network. A VPN basically extends a private network including the resources therein across the Internet (or public networks). As such, the host computer is able to send and receive data across public networks without having to worry about someone intercepting the information.
How much does it cost?
- In an article by Michael Horowitz (March 14, 2008) posted on news.cnet.com, two companies that rent VPN service are Witopia and HotspotVPN. Witopia service (PersonalVPN) costs around $40 a year. It utilizes a 128 bit encryption using the Blowfish cypher. On the other hand, the HotSpotVPN-2 charges $109 for a similar encryption. Both also offer an SSL based VPN for an annual fee as well as a PPTP based VPN service, which is the only VPN supported on an Apple iPhone.
- HotSpotVPN is also available for a one-day increment at around $3.88, three-day increment for$5.88, and one week increment for $6.88. It costs around $89 on a yearly basis.
- There are also VPN providers that are less expensive. According to bestvpnservice.com, some of the cheaper providers are ibVPN, Private Internet Access, Boxpn VPN, Pure VPN, Express VPN, Hidemyass, and Cyberghost.
- The cheapest VPN provider is ibVPN which costs around $4.96 a month followed by Boxpn VPN which costs $5.99 a month. The starting price for Private Internet Access is $6.45 a month while the starting price for Pure VPN is $9.95 a month. Cyberghost costs $10.83 a month and Hidemyass costs $11.52 a month. On the other hand, Express VPN’s starting price is $12.95 a month.
- Overall, depending on what you want with your VPN, the costs are going to be anywhere between $4 and $14 per month, per user.
What is going to be included?
- According to news.cnet.com, VPN services use of one of three technologies to create a tunnel, which includes the following: PPTP, L2TP, and the latest of which is IPSec (Internet Protocol Security). The tunnel creates the network, and the encryption keeps it private.
- VPNs can be classified into remote access, in which you can connect an individual computer to a network, or site to site, which enables you and other people such as your employees in different locations to share one virtual network.
- With a VPN service, you can get a secure connection to your business network that will be useful for you.
- You will be able to run over various networks as well as the internet through VPN service.
- To learn more about how a VPN works, PCWorld.com has a detailed guide.
What are the extra costs?
- Some companies charge extra for upgraded functions. For instance, HotSpotVPN charges extra for higher grades of encryption.
- If you want to change the type of VPN you are using, there may be a small service fee.
- If there is something wrong with your network, you may need to call a technician to help you find the problem and fix it.
Factors that influence the price:
- Broadband Speed. The broadband speed is the rate at which information is sent (uploaded) or received (downloaded) on your broadband line. The average broadband speed is currently 12 megabits per second. The higher your broadband speed, the higher the cost of a VPN will be.
- Type of Server. There are many different types if servers that can be used for your network, and the cost of acquiring a VPN will vary according to the type. Some of these types include the following: application, which is dedicated to running software applications; communications, which is designed for communication networks; and gaming, a server made specifically for gamers to meet and play online;
Tips to know
- You can search online for various VPN providers. Try to assess whether these providers offer quality VPN service so that what you pay for will be really worth it. An affordable VPN service provider that can give you great service will be an advantage.
- Although a VPN will cost you money, it is a very worthwhile investment. The prices given are for an entire year, meaning the costs are actually quite minimal. Acquiring a VPN will ensure that you network is safe from outsiders as well as viruses that could affect your home or business.
How can I save money?
- Instead of a dial-up connection, you can use a VPN service. The latter can help you generate more savings, and it will also give you a much faster internet connection.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|