How Much Does an Emission Test Cost?
An emission test is a procedure in which a vehicle is subjected to a series of test that will determine if the smog released by a vehicle meets the city standards. This is necessary to make insure that the air does not get polluted. Pollution has been a very big problem in the world and emissions in the air are the main cause of global warming, which has greatly affected the environment. Although there are different contributors of air pollution but one of the leading causes is smog. Smog usually comes from factories but can also come from vehicles; this is the reason that, before a car is registered, it is subject to emission testing. This is one of the government’s initiatives to clean the air, and those who will go against the standard testing procedure will definitely be fined by the government.
How much is it?
- Emission testing is done before a vehicle is registered or if it is necessary for other reasons. The procedure will be done in emission testing center and it can cost differently depending on the state in which you live. You will have to undergo this procedure or else you will not be able to have your vehicle registered for use. Remember, not all states in the United States require this testing.
- On average, the cost to have an emission test done is going to vary anywhere from $10 to $30.
- Emission testing centers are available all throughout the country and your city may have a lot of centers. They charge differently depending on several factors. For example, in the state of Washington, you can visit Washington Vehicle Emission Check Program as they provide emission testing centers in 5 counties. You can personally bring your vehicle for testing and make sure that you go alone to the center. You would also have to check the vehicle’s condition and make sure that there are no leaks or holes. The price of the testing done by this center can range anywhere from $15 to $20.
- As mentioned earlier, there are several emissions testing centers that you can find in the country. If you reside in the state of Connecticut, you can visit CTEmissions.com. Remember to bring cash since most centers accept cash payments only. The testing center will also provide the materials used for the whole procedure and it can cost $20 to $25.
- If you are in Colorado, AirCareColorado.com can provide emission testing for your car. You should not overfill the tank with gas and the tires should be inflated before you have the test performed. The price for the test in this center can range anywhere from $15 to $25.
What is going to be included?
- If your car fails the testing the first time, there are emission testing centers that offer the retest for free. But remember to have your car conditioned since you may fail the test again.
- During the test, an inspector will use a computer to make sure that your car is up to par with emission standards. The test will examine the catalytic converter, the exhaust, and evaporative emissions. The test should take no longer than 20 minutes. The inspector will also look for any sort of error code the computer may show. If any errors are noted, the car will fail the test and all problems will have to be fixed.
What are the extra costs?
- One of the additional costs involved when you have your car tested for emissions is the cost to have the test performed again. Remember that the payment you have made is for one test only and subsequent test will be charged.
- If your car fails the test more than once, a professional mechanic will have to fix the car to bring the car up to a “passing” standard. Typically, these problems can range anywhere from a fault o2 sensor to an older catalytic converter. No matter what the problem found may be, the repair prices will not be included in the emission test.
Tips to know:
- If your car fails the examination, you will need to make sure that you have your vehicle conditioned so you will not fail the succeeding test. They will be able to tell you the part that is faulty or where you can go to resolve the issue.
- There is no reason not to get your car tested. Not only is it relatively cheap, it is also a great way to insure that you are not contributing to pollution.
How can I save money?
- There is one simple rule to save money when you have emissions test performed to your car. The car should be conditioned the first time so you do not have to pay for additional testing. Generally, cars that are older than 10 to 15 years or older should be looked at more closely than one that is newer.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|