How Much Does an Epipen Cost?
An Epipen is a device that is used to treat acute allergic reactions such as those caused by food, drugs, and insect bites. If you suffer from severe allergies, a negative reaction is always something about which you may constantly worry. This is especially true if you are a parent of a child with severe allergies. If you or your child has allergic reactions, it would be best if you keep an epinephrine autoinjector or Epipen handy. It helps tighten blood vessels and open up the lung’s airways so that the affected person can breathe normally. The Epipen comes with a spring-loaded needle that releases the medication through intramuscular or subcutaneous injection. In addition to carrying an epipen, you should also make sure you inform the people around you that you have it, where it is, and how to use it. If you are alone, you should carry a card in your purse or wallet listing your allergies; this way, if something happens while you are out, the paramedics will have a better idea of what is wrong.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of the Epipen differs depending on the pharmacy or distributor. The prices noted below are the full prices without any sort of insurance policy.
- According to Goodrx.com, the EpiPen costs $254 on the average. This is the average price for 1-2 pens with a kit of Epipen at 0.3 miligrams. The cheapest price is $252 at the Health Warehouse and the most expensive price is $266 at Publix.
- The Epipen is also sold for $254 at Sam’s Club, Medicine Shoppe, Costco, Target, Kmart, Kroger Pharmacy, and Walmart. Meanwhile, the Epipen is sold at $257 at CVS Pharmacy, Walgreen’s, and Rite-Aid.
- On the other hand, at edrugssearch.com, the Epipen’s cost for 0.3mg ranges from $104 to $305. One pack is sold at $104 or $110 while two packs cost $208. Three packs cost as much as $305. The price varies per pharmaceutical company and per quantity. Basically, a 3-pack kit costs more than a two-pack or one-pack of Epipen, but the cost per Epipen will be lower.
What is going to be included?
- An epinephrine autoinjector includes a dose of epinephrine that is already determined. The dose usually ranges between300 μg and 500 μg of active ingredients at a concentration of 1:1000. They have more medication than what is needed for a single dose. However, take note that the excess amount is not intended for use.
- An Epipen may also include a pediatric dose at 150 μg of active ingredient.
- There is a latest version of the Epinephrine Auto-injector which was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration known as Auvi-Q. It includes a soundchip that provides audio cues to serve as a guide to patients or caregivers.
- The epinephrine is a prescription drug in many countries. As such, a doctor’s prescription is necessary. In some areas however, the Epipen is an over-the-counter drug. Try to check your location if a prescription should be included.
- Even though there may be some medication left after use, you should only use the Epipen once and it should be then be discarded.
What are the extra costs?
- You will have to pay for extra costs such as a visit to the doctor for checkup and prescription, especially if Epipen is identified as a prescription drug in your location.
Tips to know:
- Check out coupons online for Epipen. Most pharmaceutical companies provide coupons to their clients.
- Ask your doctor for free samples of Epipen. Just try to check the expiration date on the samples before using them.
- Check out State Prescription Assistance Programs. Some states provide this kind of assistance. You can visit their website for a plan based on your state.
- Apply for a state insurance so that your prescriptions can get covered.
- Avail of prescription assistance programs provided by Dey, which is a manufacturer of Epipen. Try to write or call them on how you can join the program.
- There are a few side effects to using the Epipen. You should be aware of these so that you can look for them after the Epipen is used. These side effects include sweating, nausea and vomiting, pale skin, dizziness, and headache.
- It is important to know that once the Epipen is used, you need to get the person to a hospital immediately. The effects of the Epipen will wear off after 10 to 20 minutes and the person may need more medical attention.
- When using the Epipen, you should grip it with your fist and using a fast hard movement, push the Epipen into the side outside of your thigh. This can be done through the clothing so that the medicine can be administered as quickly as possible.
How can I save money?
- Be sure to check with your insurance company to see how much money you can potentially save. If you do not have health insurance or you are looking for a new policy, consider looking for policies on websites such as eHealthInsurance.com.