How Much Does an Inhaler Cost?
An inhaler is a medical device used for delivering medication into the body via the lungs. Inhalers are primarily used by people who suffer from asthma.
How much does it cost?
- The most common inhalers that deliver the medication is Albuterol (Salbutamol). According to the website PersonalHealthInsurance.com, the cost of Albuterol inhalers can be around $5 to $10 each. However, there are new patented formulas which cost a little more at around $30 to $50.
- According to the site Asthma.About.com, patients who do not have insurance are expected to pay anywhere from $30 and $60, including the albuterol treatment. People with insurance are only asked to pay for co-pays and coinsurance rates. These fees can be around $5 (generic version) to $50 (brand name). If you do n0t have any sort of health insurance, it is highly recommended that you use services such as eHealthInsurance.com to find a health policy in your area.
- Aside from Albuterol inhalers, you can also purchase Ventolin and HFA. One ventolin inhaler that is 100mcg can be bought around $15 to $20, more or less. HFA inhalers, on the other hand, range from $30 to $60.
- Generic options and mist inhalers used to be available over the counter at around $11 to $20. Unfortunately, these kinds of inhalers were banned by FDA due to their bad effects to the environment.
What is going to be included?
- Like any other drugs and treatments, it must be understood that inhalers are purchased through prescription. This means that it is advised to see a doctor before you purchase any inhaler. The prescription includes the inhaler itself, the treatment drug, and the instructions on how to use the device.
- Usually those patients who suffer from severe asthma are also prescribed with other albuterol treatments through a nebulizer machine. This machine usually cost $200 to $400. You can also rent a nebulizer if your budget does not allow buying one. The price for the rent depends on the hospital or health facility.
What are the extra costs?
- You may need to also pay for the peak flow meter. This machine measures the speed of the air that a patient can push into his lungs. It can also help determine the appropriate albuterol dose. One can purchase peak flow meters in drugstores at around $20 to $100.
- Once you have been diagnosed with asthma, you may need to have regular check-ups with your doctor – this will depend on the severity of your condition. Each visit to the doctor will be an extra cost. With insurance, this can be as little as $10.
Tips to know:
- It must be understood that when you refill the inhaler, the cost will be the same as the original price since it includes both the albuterol and the inhaler device.
- In the event that your doctor recommends you to use a peak flow meter before any using inhalers, you should take it first.
- Depending on the type of asthma you have and the severity of your condition, you may only need to use the inhaler when having an attack. Other people may need to use it on a regular basis to prevent any such attacks from happening.
How can I save money?
- If you are on a tight budget, you can ask for assistance from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. The said foundation is known to help those patients who are unable to afford albuterol inhalers and/or nebulizers.
- You can also look for prescription assistance from your local health department for those families and individuals who have low-income. For example, the Together RX Access Program is one of best prescription assistance programs you will find. However, you must first meet the requirements they have set.
- If you are over 55, consider looking at a program made by the National Council on Aging dubbed as “Benefits Checkup.” The said program helps elderly people to find the services they need. It also includes the prescription drug coverage.
- There are other natural ways to aid in an asthma attack. However, you should concentrate more on your health than you do on how much something like this will cost.