How Much Does an iPad Cost?
Apple has come out with yet another piece of equipment for on-the-go web browsing called the iPad. The iPod, which was originally made for music and movies, has become more of a miniature computer than an mp3 player. The iPad takes all the capabilities of the computer, such as web browsing and emailing, and combines it with the perks of the iPod and Kindle, such as the app store, music, and video, and digital books – and all of this is done on a hand-held, light-weight touch screen. Visit Apple for more information.
How much does an iPad cost?
- iPads come in different memory sizes and different browsing capabilities. The iPad that only has wi-fi will cost $450-$500 for the 16GB, $600-$650 for the 32GB, and $650-$700 for the 64GB.
- Some iPads also come equipped with 3G capabilities. These will cost about $630 for the 16GB, $730 for the 32GB, and $800-$830 for the 64GB.
- The iPad 2, like the original iPad starts at $499 and goes up from there depending on the amount of space required.
- The iPad 3 can range anywhere from $499 to $699 for the WiFi. With 3G access, the prices can range from $600 to $850.
|$299 for 16GB||$399 for 16GB||$499 for 16GB|
|$599 for 32GB|
|$699 for 64GB|
|$400 for 16GB w/3G||$529 for 16GB w/ 3G||$629 for 16GB w/3G|
|$729 for 32GB w/3G|
|$829 for 64GB w/3G|
What is going to be included?
- iPads that come equipped with WiFi capabilities will be able to connect to the internet anywhere there is a wireless connection.
- iPads that are equipped with 3G will have to ability to connect to the internet anywhere that AT&T has service.
- If you decide to purchase your iPad through Apple, it can be engraved for free and will come with free shipping and free gift wrapping, if desired.
- All iPads come with technical support over the phone when needed as well as a one-year warranty on defects in the hardware. This does not protect against damage done to the iPad from use or drops.
- The iPad box will include a users manual, cords for connecting the iPad to your computer, software, and a battery charger.
What are the extra costs?
- There are many accessories which can be purchased for the iPad, such as carrying cases and screen protectors.
- While some apps are free for download, others have a small charge, usually between $2-$10. These apps are going to have their prices listed in the Apple app store.
- Digital books will cost extra to download.
- There are extended warranties that can be purchased through services such as Square Trade and Apple Care.
- 3G service requires monthly coverage by AT&T. Visit their website for more information regarding 3G plans. Listed below are the rates you will more than likely pay on a monthly basis:
$14.99 for 250MB per month
$20 for 1GB per month
$30 for 3GB per month
$30 for 2GB per month
$50 for 5GB per month
$50 for 5GB per month
* If you have the WiFi-only iPad, yours will not be able to sign up with a cell phone carrier. With all of the plans noted above, no contract will be required.
Tips to know:
- Be sure to know exactly what type of storage you’re going to need. iPads are going to range anywhere from 16GB to as much as 64GB.
- Are you going to require internet access? If you have wi-fi at home and this is the only place you’re going to more than likely use it, 3G may not be necessary. Not only that, the 3G versions are going to cost more than those without it.
- If considering 3G, you’re going to be able to choose between providers such as AT&T or Verizon. Each plan will vary in pricing depending on h ow much data you’ll use. AT&T starts at $25 for 2GB, while Verizon starts at $35 for 3GB.
- Now that the iPad 2 is out, consider purchasing the older iPad. Used ones on eBay and Craigslist can be purchased for a fraction of the cost.
How can I save money?
- Used and refurbished iPads can be found for a discounted price through services such as Amazon and eBay.
- Consider purchasing an older model. While an older model doesn’t have that much of a difference, people that are upgrading tend to sell the older one.