How Much Does Argon Cost?
Whether you use Argon for light bulbs, a fire extinguisher, welding, or agriculture, you would definitely find it really very handy. Argon (Ar) is a colorless, odourless, unreactive chemical element used as inert gas when there is not enough nitrogen. It is the most abundant gas in our atmosphere; as a matter of fact, argon was the first noble gas to be discovered in the history of mankind. It was discovered by Henry Cavendish, an English scientist. Since then, argon has been used in the fields of science, medicine, and other industries. Because argon is almost completely free of chemical reactions, it is commonly used in procedures in which inactive materials can become reactive. For instance, welding includes high temperatures, to which some items may react. Welding using argon gas will prevent this from occurring.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of argon typically varies depending on several circumstances such as the seller’s standard price, location, purpose, mode of extraction, and others. A common 125cf tank can cost anywhere from $35 to $60, while a larger tank of 336cf can cost $60 to $85. A smaller 40cf tank can cost anywhere from $20 to $40 for an exchange. These are often prices for an exchange. This means that you have initially purchased a tank, and rather than purchasing another tank when your is empty, you simply exchange your empty one for a full tank of argon.
- If you cannot exchange your cylinder and you will need to purchase brand new, you should plan to double the price noted above.
- If you want to use Argon for welding purposes, you can check out Millerwelds.com. For example, here, a forum member stated a 336 Argon refill costs around $72.
- On the other hand, according to Weldingweb.com , a 200cf Argon bottle would cost around $430. At EBay, a brand new Argon bottle at 80CF costs around $130. It would cost another $18 to fill it at Gasco.
What is going to be included?
- Argon is typically going to come in two ways: smaller cylinders that can be attached to a handheld machine such as a welder or larger tanks, similar to a tank of helium, that can be attached to almost anything if you have the correct attachments.
- Typical tank sizes that can either be exchanged or bought new include 40 cubic feet (cf), 125 and 330cf.
- Argon is produced when manufacturing high-purity oxygen through cryogenic distillation of air.
- This chemical element includes a variety of uses, particularly in the fields of science, medicine, and industry. In science, Argon gas serves as a carrier gas during laboratory experiments. In medicine, liquid argon is used in coagulation where cancer cells are destroyed. In terms of industrial uses, argon gas is utilized in electric burners as well as computer semiconductors and welding. It is also used in wine making, fire extinguishers and preservation of paint and varnish.
- When purchasing argon, storage and handling costs may be included in the selling price of this chemical element. Take note also that some companies or sellers may already include in the cost of shipping and delivery in the selling price.
What are the extra costs?
- Ordering argon online may have additional charges for shipping or delivery. These costs can be somewhat high compared to other items since the gas tanks or cylinders will need extra care. Rush delivery may also incur extra costs.
- Additional fees such as a Hazmat and cylinder fee can apply.
- State and local taxes can apply.
- In order to use the argon gas for any of the things listed above, you will probably need different attachments. These attachments will allow the gas to be used in a number of machines and devices.
Tips to know:
- Do your homework. Before deciding to buy Argon (whether for your personal or business use), make sure that you check out various websites to give you an idea of how much they would cost. You can then compare prices from various sellers of argon so that you can come up with a decision.
- Look into other options before deciding on argon. Most things that argon can accomplish can also be done through other means. Research the use of argon in reference to your specific use to see if it is the best option available.
How can I save money?
- Make sure that you only buy argon from a reputable seller or company to avoid regrets later on. You can get the best deal when you buy argon at an affordable rate without sacrificing quality for money. Consider the local shops first before heading into a franchise.
- Watch out for discounts and promos online. Also, try to look for websites that sell argon and offer free shipping or delivery.
- Make sure that you try to exchange your tanks when filling up. By exchanging, you can often get the lowest rate.
- Many companies will price match local distributors. Try to find the quote in writing or on their website to see if they will match.