How Much Does Bluestone Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Bluestone is a feldspathic sandstone commonly found in the United States and Canada.
How much is it?
- The cost of bluestone will depend on how its going to be used, the size, quality, geographical location and where it’s being purchased. On average, a basic bluestone paver that is approximately one inch thick can range anywhere from $3 to $11 per piece. The price can greatly go up depending on the size as mentioned above.
- Bluestone that is manufactured to be specifically used as steps is priced from $100 to $125. This price can vary according to the size and weight of the stone.
- For instance, a 1 inch to 1 ½ inch thick blue/blue thermal bluestone that are sawed on one side can cost anywhere from $9 to $106 per piece depending on the size of the stone.
- For example, CedarMountainStoneandMulch.com sells bluestone in various sizes as well as colors. One type of bluestone sold here is available in color and full color thermal. A majority of the pavers have a 1 to 1 ½ inch thickness. The price of this type of bluestone can range from $7 to $80 depending on the size and quality.
- PennsylvaniaBluestone.net is another site that sells various kinds of bluestone. They sell treads made from bluestone that are available in different sizes and are sold for $5 to $9 per piece. Tumbled pavers are sold here and are offered a $3 to $7 per piece.
What is going to be included?
- Bluestone is available in different shapes and colors. The thickness can also vary and will depend on the purpose for which it is being used.
- If you buy it from a local landscaping supply store, most will load it on a pallet and wrap it for delivery or pickup.
What are the extra costs?
- There are additional procedures that can be done on the bluestone but they come at a price. For custom selected color or special designs or shapes, there is an average additional charge of $1 per square foot.
- If you order bluestone with a special cut, it can cost $1.25 per square foot. For instance, gauged bluestone can be purchased and it costs about $1 per square feet in addition to the base cost.
- Installing a paver walkway or steps can often require a professional landscaping service. The cost of a job will widely depend on how large the project is. A 500 square foot blue stone patio can cost anywhere from $5 to $17 per square foot.
- If you are going to install the bluestone yourself, you will need other tools and supplies. First, the ground needs to be leveled. This may require tools or even something larger like a bulldozer. You may also want to have some dirt delivered so you can make sure the ground is even and ready for the stones to be laid.
Tips to know:
- There are several kinds of bluestone that can be purchased, and each is usually tailor made for a specific purpose. They are great for landscaping and can provide depth and layers to any surface.
- Bluestone can be purchased raw, in which case it can almost be like a puzzle to put together. Instead of being laid in a specific pattern, the stones are laid out as closely to each other as they can be. Since each is a different shape and size, however, this can be pretty tricky.
How can I save money?
- You can purchase bluestone from a lot of landscaping supply companies, and it is usually offered at a more affordable price if you purchase in bulk . If you can find bluestone types you need from one company, it is suggested that you purchase it from them so you can get it at a discounted price since bluestone is more expensive if purchased per piece.
- If you are going to consider hiring a professional landscaping company, highly consider using websites such as ServiceMagic.com to find the best quotes in your local area.
- Bluestone is one of the more expensive choices for projects like sidewalks and patios. Check into your other options to see if the price difference is great enough to change your mind.