How Much Does Boy Scouts Cost?
The Boy Scouts of America aims at giving young men the knowledge, skills, and life lessons that will eventually help them as they take the necessary path to become adults. Armed with these goals, the organization offers variety of activities that will not only help kids mature but will educate them and will offer leadership opportunities that will help them in the future. There is also a deep sense of friendship that is developed during activities held by the organization. From the 1900’s until the present, the Boy Scouts of America still upholds the organization’s ideals and virtues. If your kids are interested in joining this esteemed organization, you should consider the costs associated with it.
How much does it cost?
- According to Tuscarora Council, Boy Scouts of America, joining the organization is affordable. A charge of $15 is assessed annually for registration. However, most of the bigger expenses are for the uniform and other fees needed for the necessary activities and endeavors that the scouts will venture into. The good thing, however, is that most units schedule fundraisers to help scouts earn money for events.
- The Sam Houston Area Council Boy Scouts of America also agrees with the said fee for registration as it is the same for the entire country. The council, through its official site, noted that the same registration fee of $15 will be charged for the Cub Scouts and Venturing.
What is going to be included?
- As has been mentioned, the fee to register for the organization is only inclusive for the registration itself. The said amount will make you eligible to be a member of the organization. This means that you are allowed access to many events and activities that are organized by the Boy Scout Council you join.
- When joining Boy Scouts, one can do it by just talking to an existing Boy Scouts chapter or council in his locality. For easier access, one can log-in to the official site of the Boy Scouts of America’s National Council and click the “Join Scouting” button. You can then find a local council in your area after you enter your zip code. This will give you the opportunity to look for a local pack meeting where you can find a pack leader which will help you formally start out and complete your registration.
What are the additional costs?
- Fees charged by the unit. It must be remembered that since there are a lot of activities in stored for the Boy Scouts, there might be fees to be collected to counter the expenses for supplies, rank and advancement awards, activities and ceremonies. The specific unit of the Boy Scouts of America has the prerogative to set dues to meet the needs of the organization. These dues may be set weekly, monthly or annually.
- Uniform and camping equipment. These are a must for every Boy Scout. For the uniform alone, expect to spend $100 to $140. That said amount is already inclusive to the shirt, neckerchief, slide, shoulder loops, cap, belt, zip-off pants, socks and the handbook. Boyscouttrail.com has a complete list of the average price for what is needed for a Boy Scout uniform. Camping equipment, on the other hand, includes backpack, sleeping bag and boots, to name a few. However, most units usually have pre-owned clothing or gear that a new scout can use.
- Camping trips. Boy scouts would not be complete without camping trips. As expected, there are costs associated with these trips. A particular unit in California, for example, sets $25 for one night trips and $35 for two night trips. In addition, extra costs may be charged if there are entry/tour fees or extra travel costs (e.g., ferry, bus, train, plane or distant destinations).
- Boys’ Life Magazine Subscription. Although this is optional, most Boy Scout units recommend subscribing to the circulation magazine as this will update all scouts about the important activities of the organization nationwide. Subscription can range from $12 to $16, depending on the unit.
Tips to know:
- A boy who participates in scouting can expect to have a lot of fun, work hard, learn a lot and grow both physically and mentally.
- The official uniform should be worn to all troop meetings, formal events, and “all suitable occasions.”
- Citizenship is not required of youth or adult members of Boy Scouts of America. Thus, one can join even if he is not a US citizen.
- Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts are both programs offered by the Boy Scouts of America. However, the two are not the same. Cub Scouting is for boys in the first – fifth grades (about 7 to 10 years of age) while Boy Scouting is for kids beyond the age bracket. In addition, Cub Scouting is a family-oriented program designed specifically to address the needs of younger boys.
How can I save money?
- You cannot change fees associated with registration and unit dues. However, you can save money on uniforms and other equipment. You can let your son use a uniform formerly used by a Boy Scout neighbor or an older brother, perhaps. If you opt to buy, purchase only minimum required items in your troop or better yet, buy used Boy Scout items at local clothes store. Additionally, look for “Uniform Exchange” within your troop or district. This program lets you pick up or drop off uniforms.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|