How Much Does Brake Fluid Cost?
Brake fluid is a hydraulic fluid used in automobiles, motorcycles and even some bicycles. It’s used to transfer the force into pressure, amplying the braking force.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the quantity and the brand, the cost of brake fluid will usually be between $7 and $22.
- For instance, the highly popular ATE 70302 DOT 4 Brake Fluid retails for $20 for 1 liter.
- On the other hand, you can purchase non-silicone brake fluid at Motorspotstore.com for $8 to $24. A Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid is being sold for $8 while Racing DOT 4 Non-silicone brake fluid sell for $16 to $24 each.
- The prices noted above are for the fluid alone. For those that want to have a professional change the brake fluid, SEE: “How much does a brake fluid flush cost?“
What is going to be included?
- Brake fluid is going to commonly come in 12 and 32 ounce containers.
- Common brands include ATE, Bel-Ray, Castrol, Gunk and Motul.
- Brake fluids may include those made of silicone and the non-silicone type. A good brake fluid can work well in the streets or on tracks, and both types may be used by regular vehicles.
- There are brake fluid products that are specially formulated and designed for high performance race cars.
- Usually, you will know when your brake fluid need changing if the fluid is becoming darker. This can be checked by opening the master cylinder cap and exposing the fluid reservoir. There are also test strips that can be purchased to determine the actual color.
What are the extra costs?
- Purchasing brake fluids online may incur extra charges for shipping or delivery costs. Check out the product distributor for more information on delivery and shipping conditions.
Tips to know:
- Read up on expert’s advice on how to maintain your car well and which brake fluid product to use. Their advice and recommendations will be of great value to you. It is recommended that your brake fluid is changed every 30,000 miles. By doing so, it can help prevent the brake lines from building up corrosion and rust.
- Ask some friends around who have tried various brake fluid products for their feedback. From there, you will have an idea of what brake fluid products are good and which ones are of poor quality.
- Do not risk sacrificing your car’s safety and performance for money. Look for a brake fluid product that is of good quality even if it means putting on some extra dollars.
How can I save money?
- You can save money by making sure that your car is regularly maintained and tuned up. Make sure, too, that you only use quality brake fluid so that your car will remain in good condition. Investing in your car’s maintenance may mean spending some money but in the long run you will be able to save money on repairs.
- Check out stores selling brake fluid products as well as online stores for discounts and promos. You can also look for coupons that you can download from websites so that you can use them later on. You will be able to save a lot of money this way.
- With this type of job, it is best to avoid the dealerships. Many dealerships will charge two times more than an independent auto shop.