How Much Does Burlap Cost?
Burlap is one of the most versatile types of materials that is used today. Because this material has been traced back to the uniforms of German soldiers known as Hessians, and therefore burlap is sometimes referred to as hessian. Burlap, also known as jute, is basically a material used for interior decoration or making clothing, bags, rugs, or other accessories. It is a heavy and course fabric, generally plain-woven in a simply brown color. The good thing about this material is that it can be used for both bagging and wrapping furniture and at the same time it can also be used as a fabric for clothes and accessories such as bags. It is a very strong fabric and is therefore durable enough to withstand heavy use. If you are trying to purchase burlap material to make something, you will most likely be charged a certain price per yard.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of a burlap may vary widely because of certain circumstances. For example, the state or region, color, size, quality, and manufacturer or distributor may have an impact on the price. On average, be prepared to pay around $1.50 to $6 per yard for burlap material.
- A spool or burlap, on the other hand, will cost around $4 to $7. A spool will usually include five yards. This can be used to weave your own burlap material.
- Burlap bags can cost $1.50 to $3 each.
- At Fabric.com, for instance, natural or colored burlap can cost around $6 per yard.
- On the other hand, at FabricDdirect.com, a burlap retails for $4.29 per yard regardless of color.
What is going to be included?
- Burlap is a coarse heavy plain-woven fabric which is usually made of jute or hemp and is used for bagging and wrapping as well as making furniture and manufacturing linoleum. It is commonly used as the backing of a rug to reinforce its strength and minimize slippage.
- When purchased online, some companies may require that you purchase a minimum purchase amount. For example, Jo-Ann Fabrics require customers to purchase a minimum of two yards.
- Burlap is usually going to be 48″ or 60″ wide. It will weigh around 7-1o ounces.
- Burlap may include various colors, designs, patterns, or sizes. You can choose from a wide variety of colors such as wheat, moss, purple, royal blue, corn, celery, brown, black, red, and natural.
- Other colors are also available such as gray, orchid, sage, smoke, lime, berry, turquoise, gold, pink, and ivory.
- The cost of a burlap may also include shipping or delivery costs as well as packaging costs.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be incurred for shipping or delivery of the burlap especially when purchase is made online or from other states or areas. Just ask the fabric store or seller regarding the terms and conditions involved for shipping or delivery.
- Extra costs may also be necessary for packaging and maintenance, especially when the burlap is purchased by bulk.
- Ordering burlap with customized design, pattern, or color may also require additional charges depending on the fabric store or manufacturer.
- If you are purchasing burlap material, you will need other tools and accessories to finish your project.
Tips to know
- Compare the prices of burlap in your local fabric store or nearby areas. You can make phone calls or visit the fabric stores in person or use the Internet for research work to gather price estimates and specifications. This way, you can compare prices and quality.
- It is possible to make burlap whatever color you want. Simply soak the material in water containing food coloring and it will take on that color.
- There are many uses for burlap. First, it is used as a shipping material, then called gunny sacks, to transport things such as coffee beans. Burlap is also used in landscaping as a way to protect and cover the exposed roots when moving or planting a tree. Burlap is also used in film and television for things such as masks. Burlap can also be used in art as a canvas on which artists can paint.
- Read up on how to properly use take care of burlap fabrics and items so that you would know how to maintain them.
- Burlap will have to be hand washed separately from other clothing items and it cannot be bleached.
- If left outside, this material will decompose naturally, leaving virtually no waste. Because of this, burlap bags have become very popular. They are considered environmentally friendly and they are fairly inexpensive.
- Burlap material can be used for tablecloths, pillowcases, gardening, table runners, pillows, wreaths and more. To get more ideas, take a look at this Squidoo.com page.
How can I save money?
- You can save money by taking advantage of promos, discounts and coupons. Some fabric stores may offer discounted rates when you purchase items by bulk. Usually, when you purchase more than 20 yards, the discounts will kick in.
- Invest in a good quality burlap so that you can save money in the long run.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|