How Much Does Canned Tuna Cost?
Canned tuna is the processed meat of tuna in edible oils, brine, and water or in various sauces. Canned tuna is often used for sandwiches, but it can also be used for other food items such as salads and casseroles. In the United States, only the Albacore or white meat tuna variety can be legally sold; other countries accept yellowfin varieties. The price of canned tuna is determined by the manfacturer, the store selling it, the time of year, the amount of tuna contained in the package, the variety, and other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, canned tuna is going to cost anywhere from $1.50 to $4 per can.
- For example, Amazon.com sells a 12 pack of 5 ounce canned tuna for $27 to $35. This brand in particular contains the lowest mercury tuna species.
- Canned tuna that is packed in olive oil is a healthier option. This can cost anywhere from $44 to $52 per 24 cans, or $1 to $3 per can individually.
- Canned tuna is also offered as a ready made tuna salad packed together with crackers. A tuna salad lunch to go is sold for $25 to $36. This product is sold in 12, 3.8 ounce pouches.
- Canned tuna is also sold as cat food. This product has a different type of formulation specifically designed to provide sufficient nutrients for your cat. It is sold for anywhere from $1 to $3 per can.
What are the extra costs?
- A tuna strainer is ideal for those that like to eat tuna on a daily or weekly basis. This strainer will strain the water from the can. Another popular item to consider is the tuna press. This acts just like a strainer, but it fits the can itself.
What is going to be included?
- Included with the product is the tuna itself which is canned together with a type of liquid. Also, depending on the type of product you purchase, you may get somethingto go with the tuna such as crackers or bread.
- Some cans or packages of tuna include recipes or tips for preparation.
Tips to know:
- Canned tuna can work great with a lot of simple recipes out there. For example, for breakfast, consider place it on a English muffin with scrabbled eggs. For lunch, consider mixing it will lettuce with fruits and/or veggies. Place it in a salad or on bread. For dinners, tuna can go great in casserole, macaroni salads and so much more. Be creative with it as it can make some relatively cheap meals.
- When purchasing tuna, be sure to pay attention to the packaging. Keep your eyes peeled for something called BPA. This is a chemical that can be found in cans and should be highly avoided if possible. Most labels will advertise BPA-free if there is no BPA present.
Top brands to consider:
- Bumble Bee
- Chicken of the Sea
- Wild Planet
How can I save money?
- If you’re a frequent eater of tuna, highly consider purchasing it in bulk. Services such as Amazon’s subscribe and save allow you to get a discount and have it delivered straight to your door.