How Much Does Car Rental Cost?
When traveling long distances by car, some people prefer to put the miles and wear-and-tear on someone else’s car rather than their own. Renting a car can solve this problem. Renting a car can also be useful when traveling by plane so that you will have a car to drive when you arrive at your destination. The price of the car you rent will depend on the type of car you wish to rent (sedan, suv, van, truck, etc.), the duration of the rental, the day of the week and time of the year, and the miles projected to be put on the car.
How much is it?
- The average car rental price will fall in the range of $20-$200 per day. Budget offers a standard four-door sedan for about $100 per day.
- The length of time the car will be rented as well as the type of car can also affect the price of car rentals. Hertz.com offers monthly car rates at different prices. They have a wide selection of vehicles, which can cost from $675 to $2500 per month.
- Thrifty.com also provides car rental services. They offer different packages such as daily, weekly and monthly rentals. They have different make and model of cars ranging from sedans to SUVs and are offered from $748 to $1,110 per month on average.
- There are many services that allow you to book your car rental online and pick up at your preferred location. These services include Expedia and Travelocity.
What is going to be included?
- Most rental services offer their cars with unlimited mileage for the rental period.
What are the extra costs?
- Many car rental services offer an insurance that covers the car in case of an accident. Without this insurance, your personal insurance will be responsible to cover you and the car in case of an accident.
- Most rental car companies have an extra fee for drivers who are under the age of 25. This fee varies from company to company, while some companies do not even allow drivers under 25.
- If there is any damage done to the interior or exterior of the car, you will be responsible.
- Most rental companies require the car to be returned with a full tank of gas.
Tips to know:
- If you don’t care where you’re going to get the car rental from, consider using aggregator services that allow you to compare rentals all in one place. This will save you time from going from one website to another.
- Avoid renting a car at the airport. Airport locations are going to be the most expensive location. Look for locations that are 10 to 20 minutes away from the airport.
- When renting a car overseas, consider using the foreign version of the car rental agency, rather than the domestic version.
- Know about all the fees up front. If you have any type of travel related credit card, you may find that the card will cover insurance costs and more. Talk with your credit card company for more information. Also, be sure to know your coverage in terms of what is going to be covered on your policy.
- Get a breakdown on what the costs are going to be. Car rental agencies are notorious for having hidden fees and restrictions. Always get everything in writing.
How can I save money?
- Booking your trip in advance is the best way to save money. The earlier you reserve the car, the cheaper it will be.
- Use services such as Priceline to find the best price for you. You can also name your own price with their unique service.
- There are many companies that offer coupons and discounts if you book directly through them instead of through a web service.
- Check out the 7 ways to save on a car rental.
How to Find Deals
Look for Specials and Discounts
Most major car rental companies often give specials. To find these specials, they can be found in many ways. Some of the most common ways to find these specials include joining their email newsletter or even liking a Facebook fan page. Most of these specials are going to have restrictions and qualifications, so don’t forget to read the fine print. Specials can include deals such as free weekend days, a certain dollar amount off or even a group discount. Besides specials, ask the rental car agencies if they accept AAA, CAA or AARP discounts.
Search for Coupon Codes
Those that have their hearts set on a certain rental car company can often find coupon codes floating around on the Internet. A great way to find these coupon codes is by using a search engine such as Google. The trick here is to make sure that the most recent results are used. By using the most recent results, users can often find the freshest coupon codes that haven’t expired yet. By using a search such as the company name followed by rental car deals or coupon codes can yield some decent results.
Compare with Aggregators
The Internet is a great place to compare a lot of rental car companies all at once. Long gone are the days of calling up a travel agent’s office to get the best deal. Checking rates couldn’t be easier online. Boot up a car rental comparison website and check the rates for a date. Browse through the many companies to see who’s offering the best rate at the time. Before a reservation is placed though, be sure to look for special offers and blackout dates.
NOTE: Just because the car rental prices are cheap on a third-party website, it doesn’t mean that this will be a finalized price. There are many extra charges to be aware of. These extra charges can include collision damage waiver fees, fuel charges, taxes, additional driver fees, out-of-state charges, and the list can go on. It’s important that these charges are known before showing up to a place.
Start Reservations Early
While waiting until the last-minute can often pop up some great deals, it isn’t a guarantee. Start bargain hunting as soon as possible to make sure that plenty of time is available to find that deal. Those that want to be advanced with their search are encouraged to keep notes and rental car information to keep track of the deals.
Car rental agencies that are located within the airport often charge 20 to 30 percent more than those located five miles away. If traveling to a popular city that has rental car companies outside of the airport, highly consider taking a taxi to this site and not book through the site within the airport.