How Much Does Cilantro Cost?
Cilantro is one of the many herbs that is used to alter the flavor of several different dishes. There are many times when you make a dish at home, but when you order this same dish in a restaurant it tastes different and usually better. The reason for this is usually something simple, such as an herb like cilantro. This specific herb is especially popular in southeastern and middle eastern cooking. Cilantro can also be used in Mexican dishes such as salsa and guacamole.
How much is it?
- Cilantro is not expensive and is actually one of the most affordable herbs available to us today. Cilantro is easy to find as it can be found in almost any grocery store. Cilantro’s price depends on where the herb will be purchased as well as the amount of cilantro that you need. Cilantro is normally bought fresh from the store’s produce department, but it is also manufactured in dried form and sold in bottles that come in different quantities.
- Cilantro can be purchased in forms and amounts. If purchased by weight, the cost can be anywhere from $3 to $4 for 16 grams while sifted leaves can be purchased from $20 to $26. Cilantro seeds can be had for $4 to $6.
- Dried cilantro is usually sold in jars and can cost $2 to $15.
- If you would like to plant cilantro and grow it in your personal garden, you can purchase the seeds for between $2 and $4.
What is going to be included?
- Cilantro is a type of herb that you can use on different dishes. There are little to no waste when you use this herb since the leaves and the stems are flavorful you can use the whole thing.
- Cilantro can be used in cooked dishes but can also be eaten raw. This is especially true for foods such as salsa which is considered to be a condiment in Mexico and Mexican restaurants.
What are the extra costs?
- When you buy cilantro, there are no added costs since it is used as an ingredient for different dishes. The only added cost that you may incur is the ingredients that you will have to purchase in order to cook the dishes for which you will use the herb.
Tips to know:
- Buy cilantro only when you need it since it can spoil easily; this would lead to wastage. Store cilantro in a cool, dry place to make sure that it does not get moisture on it since this can increase the chances of spoilage.
- Cilantro stems do not need to be thrown away since they can be used as added ingredient much like the leaves. For dishes that need a stron flavor, use the leaves; for dishes that need a mild flavor, use the stem.
How can I save money?
- Saving money when buying cilantro is all about the timing of purchasing the product. Cilantro can spoil easily and you should use it within a few days after you purchase it. The shelf life is not really long, so use it at the soonest possible time.
- Some stores sell cilantro in bundles and if you need a lot, you may want to use this option. Some stores also sell this product at a discounted price or have sales every once in a while. Check your local paper to see which stores offer the product at the best price.