How Much Does Dog Daycare Cost?
Some people who work long hours each day choose to use a dog daycare to allow their pet some fresh air and play time instead of being home by themselves or in a kennel. Dog daycares are especially popular in cities where apartment life is prominent. Dog daycares can also be used for pets of people who are taking a vacation and have no one to care for their pet.
How much is it?
- Most dog daycares offer half day care, usually 4-5 hours, or full daycare, usually 8-10 hours. Part time daycare will cost between $10-$25 per day, which transfers to a cost of $50-$125 per week and $200-$525 per month. Full time daycare can cost between $15-$40 per day, transferring to $75-$200 per week and $300-$800 per month. Most daycares, however, give discounts for full time dogs. For example, All Under One Woof offers full time daycare for $25 a day, but only charges $100 for five full days if reservations are made in advance.
- Many facilities, such as Pet Smart Petshotel, offer overnight care for pets of people who are out of town. This service can cost between $25-$50 per night depending on the location and time of year.
What is going to be included?
- Dog day care should include interaction with humans as well as other dogs. The dogs should also be given the option of playing outside, inside, or relaxing on a pillow while sleeping or watching TV.
- All facilities will have feeding time for the dogs. Some provide the food while others ask that you bring your own.
- A pet hotel should include a private room in which your dog can sleep. If you have two dogs staying, a double room can be reserved.
- Dog daycares should allow for separate play times for small and large dogs to avoid accidents.
What are the extra costs?
- Many dog daycares and pet hotels charge some type of application fee or processing fee. This can be anywhere from $5 to $30.
- If you are late picking up your pet, most facilities charge extra for each additional fifteen minutes. This charge could be as little as $1 if during normal hours or as much as $10 if employees have to stay after hours.
- Some dog daycares offer pick-up and drop-off services for around $10 each way.
- Most pet hotels have higher prices during high-travel times, such as Christmas or Thanksgiving.
- Most daycare facilities charge a cancellation fee, or simply make you pay for the full day, if your dog does not come as scheduled without 24 hour cancellation notice.
- Each dog must be up to date on all shots and vaccinations at all times. All dogs over 7 months will need to be spayed or neutered.
Tips to know:
- Always visit a daycare before taking your dog there. This is your chance to get to know the staff as well as get a feel on what the whole atmosphere is like. Is it clean? Is it quiet? Watch how the staff interacts.
- Ask the staff about their credentials. How do they punish the dogs if they are bad? Are they canine CPR certified?
- Be sure to note the climate of the daycare. Is it comfortable for you? Keep in mind that dog coats are going to vary depending on the breed. It’s okay if it’s a tad colder than your liking.
- Ask the staff how your dog is going to be introduced to other dogs, if it’s going to happen. Make sure that the staff is going to watch over dogs when they are introduced to each other.
- It doesn’t hurt to do a review check online to see what other people are saying about the daycare. Trust your gut with the reviews.
How can I save money?
- Most daycare facilities offer prices that become cheaper per day as you sign up for more days. Reserving your dog’s spot in advance can save you money per session.
- A lot of daycares give discounts on a second dog as well as discounts for referring other dogs.
- Smaller privately owned daycares, usually run out of someone’s home, can sometimes be a lot cheaper. However, they may not be as safe.
- If you don’t feel like dropping your dog off, consider using services such as Care.com to find a local individual that will come to your home while you’re gone. Most dog watchers here can charge as little as $8 per hour.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|