How Much Does Embroidery Cost?
Embroidery is the process of decorating fabric with a needle and yarn. Embroidery may also include other materials such as beads, pearls and sequins. This process is often used with coats, blankets, hats, dress shirts and golf shirts.
How much does embroidery cost?
- The price of embroidery will depend on the design you want, the item being used, the professional doing the job, the complexity of the job and geographical location. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $3 to as much as $15 per small piece. This piece can range anywhere from a simple hat to a larger t-shirt. This will usually include anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000 stitches.
- The more stitches that you need for a particular piece, the more it will cost. Larger logos that take up more space, such as a jacket back, can cost upwards of $30 to $45 per piece. To play it safe, it is best to budget $1 to $2 per 1,000 stitches.
- There are several companies that offer embroidery services and you can expect them to charge at different rates. For example, one company that provide embroidery service is AtlasEmbroidery.com. This company offers embroidery on shirts and hats and they prefer to do the job in bulk. The company is able to perform up to 6,999 stitches per fabric as their minimum, while the max that they can do is at 10,000 stitches. They offer services for 1 to 5000 shirts or hats and they can charge anywhere from $3.20 to $8 per piece of the item to be embroidered.
- EmbroideredAuthority.com is another company that can perform embroidery services online. This company enables you to have embroidered logo, and they will digitally create the design of the logo and you will pay only for the garment. The company can make up to 10,000 stitches per fabric and they can work on up to 500 pieces of embroidered fabric. They are currently offering the service for anywhere from $3 to $8 depending on the number of stitches that will be required.
What is going to be included?
- Companies that perform embroidery services usually have different templates of designs that you may want to put on your fabric. You can select from plenty of different choices that they have in their catalog. They will also have a few different choices of fonts from which you can choose if personalizing the item.
What are the extra costs?
- There are companies that would create a digital embroidery file of the logo that you want, and they may ask for a one-time fee for this service. If you have the design done, this service charge will be the only fee. If the company has to design the logo for you, they will most likely charge a design fee as well.
- Embroidery jobs can take anywhere from 3 to 5 days on average. Larger jobs can take longer. If you want to have the job expedited, expect to pay rush fees.
- Orders placed online can often incur delivery fees. All stores will vary, though.
- Embroidery that is done by hand rather than a machine can cost significantly more. If you want the job done by hand, expect to pay 10 to 15 times more than the rates mentioned above.
Tips to know:
- If you want to have a customized embroidery job, most companies will ask that you place your logo in a .JPG or .PDF format.
How can I save money?
- Embroidery by hand is considered to be the more expensive alternative since the labor that goes into the job is next to nothing but the value of this type of embroidery is higher.
- Check with at least 3 to 5 companies both online and in person that perform embroidery services to compare rates.
- By buying bulk, most companies will be more than happy to provide a discount.
- Embroidery is not your only option when personalizing clothing. You can also get things screen-printed, which can sometimes be cheaper. Most companies that perform embroidery also perform screen-printing, so you can check both prices and make your decision based on the quotes.