How Much Does Flank Steak Cost?
Flank steak is one of the many cuts of beef that can be consumed. Beef is one of the most popular types of meat and is eaten by millions of people around the world on a daily basis. Steak is only one of the types of beef that you can eat. Ground beef can be used for things such as hamburgers or spaghetti; roast can be slow cooked or eaten in a stew; ribs can be grilled and are usually covered with barbecue sauce or something similar. Probably the most popular cut of beef is the steak. Depending on the part of the cow from which the steak is taken, it can be called different things and cooked in different ways. The flank steak is taken from the abdominal muscles of the cow and is very popular with London broil and in fajitas. Flank steak is also popular in Asia; it is often sold as stir fried beef since this is the usual way it is prepared.
How much is it?
- Like other cuts of beef, the price of the flank steak differs depending on the amount of meat that will be purchased. Beef comes from different breeds of cows; depending on the quality of cow from which the meat comes, the price can be different as well. All beef is graded according to different factors such as maturity, texture, and lean color and the price would vary based on this factor. Finally, the price can be affected by the store which sells the meat; each store has the discretion to price the steak, but each will also try to price it competitively to other stores in the area.
- USDA choice cuts of flank steak are generally priced from $5 to $10 per pound. The average weight for the flanks steak usually reaches 70 pounds.
- MarxFoods.com is an online retailer that sells flank steak in bulk. They sell different kinds of flank steak from different animals such as bison, but they also sell grass fed beef flank steaks. This type of flank steak is packed in 46 pound boxes and is sold in the $400 range.
- CSUMeats.com is another online service that sells various types of flank steak. Aside from flank steak, they also sell skirt and sirloin steak. The flank steak sold on this site can be purchased at minimum quantities. However, they do not require you to purchase bulk orders that contain 50 plus pounds of flank steak; instead, you can buy smaller quantities that can cost anywhere from $6 to $7 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Flank steaks are usually plastic wrapped and placed inside boxes to maintain freshness of the meat. They are either chilled or frozen and prepared in a manner which it can be cooked fresh out of the container.
- Coming from the belly region of a cow, most prefer to use this type of steak in meals such as a London Broil.
- Some stores may include a small packet of seasoning with the meat. Others may give you a suggestion of a recipe in which you could use the steak.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs involved when buying flank steak from online stores would be the shipping charge. There are some stores that waive the shipping fee if you meet the minimum purchase requirement. Because the steaks need to be frozen, most retailers will want to have it on your doorstep within two days.
Tips to know:
- Because of the nature and price of this meat, make sure you take when cooking it. If it is not done correctly, the meat could be ruined and would therefore be a waste of your money.
- A flank steak is best when it is cooked quickly since they do not require long cooking time as the meat is already tendered. A lot of people also prefer to marinade this cut of beef as it gives off a lot of flavor once it is cooked.
- Flank steak can be grilled or baked depending on your preference. If cooking the steak on the grill, you should first marinate it. However, grilling will result in the loss of juices from the steak. You should cook it quickly on high heat to prevent losing all the juice. Flank steak can also be baked. After putting the meat in a dish with some seasoning and olive oil, cover it tightly with aluminum foil and bake on 350. This will cause the steam from the meat to collect within the pan, helping to tenderize the meat.
How can I save money?
- Look for online stores that sell the meat at a lower price. Do not be too cheap, though. What you may find is that if you look for the cheapest cut, you may get what you pay for.
- If possible, try to get the meat straight from the supplier. This will cut out the middle man and therefore the price increase. It will also provide you with the freshest meat possible.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|