How Much Does Flour Cost?
Flour is one of the main components in bread and all bread related products. Bread is one of the staple foods in almost all countries. There are many different types of bread depending on the culture and its preferences, but each type begins with the simple ingredient of flour. Flour is made by grinding up different types of cereal grains. Because flour is used so much in all different countries, the availability of this product has become a political and economic concern. There are different types of flour, and the one you use may depend on the end-product you desire. First, flour can be either bleached (white flour) or unbleached (more brown in color). The difference between the two is that bleached flour has had the germ and bran removed. Second, plain flour, or all-purpose flour, does not have a leavening agent. This type of flour is used in the most common recipes such as bread and cookies. Finally, flour can be enriched; this means that the nutrients that are lost in the making of flour are replaced. You can get flour that is a combination of these components, such as plain white enriched flour.
How much does flour cost?
- Flour is widely available in different countries, but there are some areas in the world where flour is produced in bulk, and therefore flour can cost a lot less in these areas. The type of flour as well as the product for which it is used can also affect the price of the flour. The type of flour is the main reason for the different types of breads and baked goods you see one the shelves.
- On average, plan on spending anywhere from $3 to as much as $8 per bag. Each bag will usually weigh around five pounds.
- One type of flour sold through Amazon is spelt flour and they are available in packs of four. The price of this type of flour can range anywhere from $18 to $20.
- Another type of flour sold through Amazon is the organic baker’s gift set flour. This type of flour contains four five-pound bags of flour per pack. These are sold for anywhere from $22 to $25. You can also purchase Italian super fine Farina flour which costs $4 to $5 per bag.
- If you want to go straight to a manufacturer, you can check out KingArthurFlour.com. They generally sell all purpose flour which can be basically used for any dish or bread that requires flour. The products that they sell are priced anywhere from $5 to $8 per bag.
What is going to be included?
- Flour can be used in a variety of manner; side from making breads, flour is one of the main components of making different sauces. Flour has gluten and it thickens soups and sauces by making roux.
- Bags purchased at a local grocery store will come in packages that range anywhere from one to as much as five pounds or more. Commercial sized bags can be purchased, too.
What are the extra costs?
- Flour alone can make bread, but not good bread. You will need to purchase other ingredients which you will mix with flour to make the desired dish or food item that you will make.
- Purchasing flour online through a retailer can incur additional shipping costs. All retailers will vary with their policy on shipping. If you do have to pay for shipping, it may be higher than other products because of the weight of flour.
Tips to know:
- There are several types of flour from which you can choose from, and when used differently, they can make different types of bread. For example, there is wheat flour available and they are rich in fiber which is good as a healthy option. Make sure you read your recipe closely to determine which type of flour you need.
- Because flour contains high amounts of gluten, those who are allergic to wheat need to stay away from this product. Because flour is used to make so many different food items, this may be quite hard. Most grocery stores will have a specific section of foods that are gluten-free. There are also many brands that offer regular as well as gluten-free products. The gluten free foods are usually slightly more expensive, however.
- Flour can also be used in different crafts and non-food related things. A few examples of this would be making homemade clay, paper crafts, and paste.
How can I save money?
- You can buy flour from different stores and each can offer the product at different prices. You may want to consider buying from stores that sell them for cheap; if you use large amounts of flour, it would be a good idea to buy it from a local restaurant supply store.
- Many popular brands offer coupons online and in the newspaper. Consider looking for these before heading to the store.
- Because flour can be bought locally in most areas, you should buy it in your area to avoid shipping charges.