How Much Does Ginger Cost?
Ginger is a widely used spice for food, medicine and even tee. This flowering plant grows about three feet tall and has tall narrow green leaves with yellow flowers. Originating in the tropical rainforest of Southern Asia, ginger no longer grows in the wild.
How much is it?
- Ginger is not that expensive and it can be purchased in most grocery stores. Ginger is usually sold in bulk, and the price will depend on the amount of ginger purchased and where you’re purchasing it from. On average, ginger can cost anywhere from $5 to $10 per pound. Smaller quantities such as four ounces, the prices can vary from $1.50 to $3.
- For instance, a pack of 2 Frontier ginger grounded roots retails for $15 to $28 for two 16 ounce packages.
- Herbco.com is an online retailer that sells ginger in smaller quantities and can be purchased fresh or in powder form. The price of the ginger sold by this store can range from $6 to $9 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Ginger has several properties that make it a unique addition to any dish. It is spicy and stimulating to the palate but can taste sweet at the same time. Ginger is often pickled in vinegar or cooked as an ingredient. If it is boiled, it can create something known as ginger tisane, which honey is often added to. It can also be made into a candy or wine.
What are the extra costs?
- If you purchase ginger online, you may be charged for shipping.
Tips to know:
- Ginger serves several purposes and is a versatile type of spice. Ginger is often used in oriental cuisines adding that much needed spice and stimulation to the food with which they are mixed.
- It has been said that ginger tea can treat a hoarse voice or clogging in he throat or nose. You would be able to brew the ginger and add a bit of sugar to turn it into a tea. The taste can be a bit spicy, but it is really good especially in cold weather.
- There are different by products of ginger available in the market. Some stores carry powdered ginger which makes it easier to add it to the dish you are cooking. Ginger supplements are also available in the form of capsules or tablets.
How can I save money?
- Ginger is not that expensive and you can purchase it from several grocery stores. It also cost less if there are ample supplies in your area. If you decide to order online, just find the store that sells the ginger at the lowest price.
- Ginger does have a long shelf life as long as you store it at room temperature. However, do not buy too much ginger at one time if you only use it sparingly. Buy just the appropriate amount of ginger that you need to make sure that it does not spoil.