How Much Does Google TV Cost?
Google TV is a an open-platform that augments the power of Internet to television viewing experience and has been developed by Google in partnership with Intel, Sony and Logitech. Over the past decade, the Internet has created an unparalleled opportunity for innovation and development worldwide, but this has hugely been absent on the TV screens. The initial Google TV offerings do come from Logitech and Sony. The Google TV devices are currently in stores.
It can be seen to be a transitional device. Soon, chances are high that no one will get their content from TVs. Most consumers are already looking for ways to avoid pricey cable subscriptions, and so media companies are reviewing their strategies for placing content online. There are two main Google TV set top boxes from which you can choose: the Logitech Revue and the Sony NSZ-GT1. The combination of Intel processor and Google TV platform creates a truly Smart TV which seamlessly integrates the content from an existing TV service provider (such as DirecTV and Comcast), the entire Internet, as well as personalized apps for games, movies and music.
How much is it?
- Google TV set up boxes from Sony are priced at $150 for the Smart Stick and about $200 for NSZ-GS8-$250; offerings from Logitech are priced at $99. On average, be prepared to spend $99 to as much as $299 for a device that is capable of broadcasting Google TV.
- This Gigaom.com article, written in 2011, noted that the Logitech Google TV device retails for $99.
- TheVerge.com notes that you should be prepared to spend $125 to $299 for Google TV.
What is going to be included?
- Google TV is an Android based operating system for the smart TVs, or the TVs which connect to the Internet in addition to the standard set-top devices such as Blu-ray players, DVDs, or DVRs. Google TV integrates the wealth of content in an easy to navigate search and browse experience. Included is an innovative home screen which can help organize and personalize your favorite content, in addition to picture-in-picture layout that allows for multiple windows to be simultaneously open.
- One of the features that make Google TV stand out is the full version of Chrome Web browser and the Web-based services that you can use with it. This means that you can check your email through Gmail or another Web based email service. The chrome on Google TV can play Flash videos, meaning that it is capable of handling most streaming videos.
- While Android phones can play apps, the Google TV has the capability to download and play the apps from Google TV market. Google TV also allows you to save your favorite channels, feeds, podcasts, and Web pages in a queue for easy reference later.
- Also, you can add shows from the DVR in case you have one.
What are the extra costs?
- With the Chromecast, you can move anything you see on your internet-connected device with one click, and this is priced at $35.
- Also, because you can download applications onto the Google TV, there are some applications that need a one-time purchase cost, or a monthly subscription such as newspaper subscriptions. For example, Hulu Plus can cost an additional $9.95 per month. Just like apps on a smart phone, apps on Google TV can either be free or cost a few dollars.
- While you will not necessarily need a cable hook up, you will need high-speed internet in order for Google TV to work. If you have poor internet connection, watching Google TV can be very frustrating while waiting for everything to load. You should be able to get high speed internet in your home, which is sometimes combined with phone and cable service, for anywhere from $50 to $150 per month.
Tips to know:
- If you want to stream the Netflix movies and watch the streaming TV shows from your preferred networks, a Google TV is a good choice. In case you were looking at purchasing a Blu-ray player, this Sony system is a truly good choice, because it combines Blu-ray technology with Google TV and has a Blu-ray player that is fully firmware upgradeable which supports 3D content in the next update. This is something that is missing from most cheap set top Blu-ray players.
- While you can watch and have access to a large wealth of shows, movies, and videos, there is one problem: “You will not be able to find the new episode of NCIS or The Voice that is airing that night on network television. You will not be able to view local news (unless your preferred station simulcasts their broadcast on the Internet and you view it with a browser) and you will miss out on a lot of sporting events.”
How can I save money?
- Look out for online stores that offer the Google TV at a reduced price.
- Also, there are discount coupons available with some stores which you can take advantage of.