How Much Does Gunsmithing Cost?
Gunsmithing is one of the many things that should be considered before purchasing a gun. Owning a gun is a large responsibility and can require a lot of maintenance. If you happen to be a licensed gun owner, you would need the services for gunsmithing once in a while so that your gun will be properly maintained and be in a good condition. Gunsmithing helps “clean” and maintain the condition of a gun, keeping it as good as new.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of gunsmithing varies widely. For example, the state or region, type or make of the gun, its condition, number of guns, and standard rate of the gunsmith or gun store may all directly or indirectly affect the cost. Depending on the job that has to be done, plan on paying by the hour. These hourly rates can range anywhere from as little as $40 to as high as $90. Aside from the hourly rate, many shops will have a flat fee service for services such as a trigger install, barrel pinning, etc. Listed below in the chart are common jobs that most gunsmiths will do, along with their varying prices.
- According to edsguns.net, hourly service charge for gunsmithing (man hour) is around $50 while the hourly service charge for man/machine is around $65. The minimum charge per gun is $25. Cleaning and oil gun costs at least $65 while Firearm Appraisals cost at least $25.
- On the other hand, at westcoastarmory.com, the hourly cost of gunsmithing is $45 to $80. Other services such as handgun sight install is $45 while a rebluing is $250. Barrel threading costs $80 while a barrel cut and recrown is $45. Barrel pinning is $80 and a glock trigger install is $45.
Type of Job
$20 to $40
$15 to $35
$20 to $50
General Work (checking parts, removing obstructions)
$5 to $75
Glass Bedding Action
$35 to $115
$20 to $80
$130 to $330
Muzzle Loader Work
$35 to $110
$50 to $200
$10 to $80
$10 to $115
$60 to $150
What is going to be included?
- Gunsmithing costs may include the materials and standard fee of the gunsmith. Most companies will have a minimum charge, which is usually around $10 to $20.
- Gunsmithing services may also include standard services such as a handgun sight install, cleaning, rebluing, barrel threading, barrel cut and re-crown, barrel pinning, and glock trigger install. There are hundreds of things that a gunsmith can do for your gun.
- Guns that they are able to work with will include shotguns, rifles and handguns.
- Depending on the shop and how busy it is, it can take anywhere from as little as two days to as long as month for the gunsmithing process to be completed. For instance, sight installation should take less than three days while a refinishing job could take upwards of a month.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be incurred for purchase of materials from other sources when you take advantage of the services. For instance, ordering gunsmithing materials from other states or regions may require handling and delivery or shipping costs on top of the cost of the service.
- Additional services availed of at the gun shop or store where you avail of gunsmithing services may also mean additional expenses.
- At Westcoastarmory.com, for instance, there is a shop fee of $2.95 (lubricant, cleaner, etc.) and additional $20 for pinning with threading.
- If you have an antiquie or unique gun, you may want to find a specialist. While this may be more expensive, the care and knowledge of the expert will be well worth the investment.
Tips to know
- Shop around for the cost of gunsmithing in your state or region. You can visit or call gunsmith or gun stores or simply go online and check out price quotations for gunsmithing services. Once you have a list, you can then compare prices and services and choose the best deal.
- Make sure that you take good care of your gun so that you can maintain and use it for a long time. You can research tips on how to do so from online sources.
How can I save money?
- You can save money by taking advantage of discounted rates or coupons with some services. Be sure to call up and ask about their current promotions or even check out their website.
- Invest in a good gunsmith to do the job for you. This way, you will be able to save money for maintenance or repairs in the long run.
- Some companies may package together certain jobs to help you save money. If you need more than one job, be sure to inquire to see what they can do for you.
- There are many gun shops that will perform one gunsmithing for free to customers who also purchased their gun from them. After this, they will probably give lower rates to those customers. Staying loyal to a particular gun shop can save you money in the long run.
- If you own a lot of guns and are going to need this service often, it may be more cost effective to learn the art and purchase the tools yourself.