How Much Does HBO Cost?
HBO, also known as Home Box Office, is a premium cable channel that offers a variety of programming. HBO currently has 28 million subscribers and its programming consists of theatrically released motion pictures as well as original series; it is also made for cable movies and documentaries as well as musical or comedy specials. The price for HBO depends on the cable or satellite service provider. Basic HBO usually comes packaged with the programming lineup the service provider has, while premium HBO channels can add to the programming cost.
How much is it?
- The price for HBO depends on the cable service provider to which you will subscribe. Most of the cable or satellite TV providers offer HBO as a premium upgrade. For example, DirectTV.com lists the price of HBO at $15 to $20 per month.
- The Dish Network lists HBO at $16 to $17 per month and they provide 9 channels. Eight of these channels are in high definition. HBO comes in a separate package which offers a bunch of channels once you activate it.
- One of the largest cable companies, Comcast, offers HBO at $10 to $16 per month. The lower price mentioned is for the current customers who do not yet have HBO; the higher price mentioned is for first time subscribers. A competitor such as Charter cable provides HBO and other premium cable channels for anywhere between $14 and $16.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the TV provider to which you will subscribe, the channels included with the HBO package can be different. They usually offer 8 HD channels out of the 9 channels that are included with the package.
What are the extra costs?
- HBO also offers pay per view options, which are special paid programming events such as a major sporting event. Depending on the program, the price can be different. These will have to be purchased separately.
How can I save money?
- Look for special offers. Always ask your TV provider if they can offer HBO at a special price. There are cable providers that offer the programming at a lower price for a certain period. HBO is commonly given out for free for new customers.
- Do not be afraid to haggle the price with your cable provider. You can usually get a lower price by doing this.
- With HBO today, you don’t even need a cable provider in order to view this channel. Instead, consider downloading HBO via a phone application or even watch it directly through their website. Most of their shows can be found on services such as Netflix as well.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|