How Much Does Mahi Mahi Cost?
Commonly known as a dolphin, or dolphinfish, the Mahi Mahi is a think skinned type fish that has a very unique, sweet flavor. The Mahi Mahi is commonly known to be found off the waters of states such as Hawaii and more. The price of this fish varies on a few factors such as the season, supply and various other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, Mahi Mahi can cost anywhere from $1.50 to $3.50 per pound if purchased as a frozen filet. If purchased fresh from a local fish market, the price can be anywhere from $7 to $13 per pound, already prepped and cut.
- According to SeafoodSource, the typical average of this fish is going to range anywhere from $1.65 to as much as a $1.85 per pound for a frozen fillet. When production isn’t high, this fish can reach numbers as much as $4+ per pound.
- WildOceanSeaFoods.com has a few packages such as the “5lbs Mahi Mahi Boneless Fillets” which costs around $75. They also have the 10 pound package which costs around $150.
- At a local fish market, a while Mahi Mahi fish can vary anywhere from $50 to $150+ depending on the size, and the time of the season.
- AlwaysFreshFish in New Jersey has fresh Mahi Mahi that varies from $10 to $15 a pound.
What is going to be included?
- If you purchase the fillet itself, the fish market should have it prepped for you already. It should be packaged and sealed to retain it’s freshness.
- Purchasing a gift package online may contain various other goods such as a basket, other types of fish and more. Be sure to read the description before purchasing.
What are the extra costs?
- Purchasing the fish online may incur higher prices since it has to be shipped, and more preparations have to be considered.
- If purchasing in a high demand season, the price per pound can raise by 2, or even 3 times the amount.
Tips to know:
- Popular places to catch fish such as Mahi Mahi include South-East Asia, Spain, Australia as well as South America.
- Common places to find them in the water while fishing include debris such as floating logs, buoys and even near bait fish. A popular technique to find bait fish is to look for birds feeding on them near the surface.
- The average catch can be anywhere between 15 and 30 pounds. Anything over the 40 pound mark is considered to be above average.
How can I save money?
- Purchase from a local fish market, or a grocery store. Prices on the Internet tend to be higher than if you purchase fresh locally.
- If you want to save on money, consider purchasing frozen filets. While the taste won’t be comparable to a fresh fish, it can save up to 60% on the total purchase.
- If you have the time, consider going on a charter to catch the fish. Many charters will even clean up the fish after it has been caught. In fact, there are also restaurants out there that will cook the fish fresh for you if you bring it to them direct.