How Much Does Manure Cost?
Manure is an organic matter used as an organic fertilizer to help plants grow to their full potential. Manure contributes to the soil’s fertility by adding organic matter and nutrients. Manure is considered to be a cost effective solution in fertilizing plants, especially if the user owns animals that produces manure for them to use which allow them to save money. Manure prices are different based on the animal from which it comes. The price for manure will vary based on the amount as well.
How much is it?
- On average, manure is going to come in 5 to 50 pound bags or larger. The average cost can range from $4 to $13 per bag.
- The most common manure found is used for gardens. A dehydrated manure from poultry greatly improves soil texture and is mostly used in flower and vegetable gardens as well as on lawns. Dehydrated poultry manure can cost $4 to $6 per five pound bag.
- A chicken manure, which comes in a 35 pound bag is composted for a rich final product that will not burn roots and has high nutrient value, can cost $6 to $8 per bag.
- Composted cow manure that comes in 50 pound bags, used in patio and lawn garden, can range from $9 to $12 per 50 pound bag.
- Considered as a more effective organic fertilizer, horse manure is widely used for gardening. 2 bags of pre-pasteurized manure is steamed for 3-4 hours which guarantees freshness of the product. These are sold for $38 to $45.
- For larger purchases, a ton of manure can cost $22 to $40 per ton, plus delivery charges.
What are the extra costs?
- When handling the dirty work, there is no need to use your hands. There are tools specifically made to use when handling manure. A manure fork allows you to transfer manure and plow them evenly. These can cost $35 to $55 depending on the size and brand.
- For those that are handling bigger jobs, a spreader may be required for larger fields. Farm based spreaders can cost as much as $800 to $2,000.
- Bulk purchases may require delivery. Most companies may have a delivery charge that can range from $25 to $75 per load.
What is going to be included?
- Instructions on how to apply and make the most out of the manure will usually be printed on the packaging itself.
- The typical bag can come anywhere from two to as big as fifty pound bags. Average packs in the local store will be less than 25 pounds.
How can I save money?
- Using manure already saves you money compared to using non-organic fertilizers. For maximum savings, you should compare prices from different brands. This will allow you to choose the same type of manure offered at a lower price.
- Check with local farmers to see if you can take manure off their hands. If you form a good relationship, you never know what you can get for free. It also doesn’t hurt to check local classified ads online to see if there are any free postings. If there are any free postings, most of the time it will be required that you pick it up locally at the farm.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|