How Much Does Paneling Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Paneling is the process of covering a wall by rigid or semi rigid components. This is usually done since stone walls can be cold and the paneling helps insulate the room, but modern buildings offer paneling as additional decorations. Elaborate paneling includes wainscot as well as boiserie, which can be very expensive. Paneling for homes can be affordable depending on the design as well as the size of the wall. Some other factors that affect the price of paneling are the materials used and the fee paid to the contractor that provides the service.
How much is it?
- On average, a 8’x4′ sheet of paneling is going to cost anywhere from $13 to $27. This is going to depend on the finish, the type, brand, and other factors. A panel that measures 1×8″ can cost $2 to $11.
- If the merchant charges by the square footage, the price can vary anywhere from $1.45 to $4.40 per square foot. For example, ElmWoodReclaimedTender.com sells its Elk Ridge Rustic paneling for $2.45 per square foot.
- For example, a pine wood paneling, which has a stain color coat applied to the raw knotty pine prior to the coats of ultraviolet dried as it is applied and also has 2 coats of clear polyurethane finish, can cost $2 to $6 per 1 x 8” with 2 clear UV coats.
- Paneling such as red cedar is resistant from insect and moisture and is very resistant to decay. It also has exceptional strength, is moderately soft and light in weight, and it boasts the lowest shrinkage of any softwood species. Different selections of red cedar wood paneling with 1 x 8” measurements costs anywhere from $3 to $7 per panel.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional cost for paneling is the installation of the panels. This depends on the pricing offered by the contractors. Contractors will usually charge per hour or per project depending on the arrangements that you make with the them. The average job will cost anywhere from $2 to $5 per square foot. The average 400 square foot room may cost $800 to $2,000, not including supplies.
- For the DIY type, supplies will be needed such as a drill, hammer, furring strips, saber saw, and more. DoItYourself.com has a list of supplies that are necessary in order to get started.
What is going to be included?
- Shipping may be included if a certain amount of paneling is purchased. Check with the merchant in regards to their shipping policy.
- Paneling will come pre-wrapped with the type of your choice. For a finished product, the paneling will be coated with stain or paint for instant installation. An unfinished product will require paint and/or stain.
How can I save money?
- Compare prices between several contractors that can install the paneling. Services such as Service Magic will allow you to compare quotes in your area so that you can find the best quote.
- Paneling is meant to enhance the look of the house, but try to consider having a panel installed only when you really need it, which is to insulate the room from the cold walls. If it will serve both purpose when you install it, then you can say that you have truly saved on having a panel installed in your house.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|