How Much Do Paragliding Lessons Cost?
Paragliding is a type of recreational and competitive flying sport where the pilot sits on a harness suspended below a parachute or a fabric wing. Those who want to be a paraglider often undergo a training program that helps them prepare to properly perform the activity. Paragliding lessons helps in providing the necessary skills to paragliders. There are several institutions that offer paragliding lessons and they offer it at different prices. The main factors for the price difference are the length of the class, the level of experience, the institution, the day of the week, and other various factors.
How much is it?
- In order to paraglide on your own, lessons and classes will need to be taken in order to become certified as a pilot. Most lessons are going to range anywhere from $400 to $2,300 for the complete course. Once a P-2 certification is acquired, a pilot can fly without instructor supervision.
- For example, ParaGliding.us provides different types of paragliding lessons. They offer a 2 day introductory course as well as P2 certification course which is needed to become a certified pilot. They offer the courses for anywhere from $350 to $1,650.
- FlyAboveAll.com also offers different types of classes for paragliding. They offer an extensive selection of paragliding lessons such as a P1 beginner package and P2 certification course. These are priced anywhere from $200 to $1,500 for the complete package.
- In New Mexico, ParaglidingNewMexico.com offers different lessons such as an introductory day lesson or P2 full certification. These courses cost anywhere from $150 to $1,600.
What is going to be included?
- There are several inclusions when you take paragliding lessons. But the inclusions can be different depending on the institution. Most of the items included are training manuals and flight log books as well as student equipment. Indoor classroom sessions will be provided as well as lessons presented through videos.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs come in form of paragliding equipment that will be used for the actual activity. There are different components of the paragliding equipment and they can be priced anywhere from $6,000 for new equipment to $3,000 for a used set of equipment.
- Training outside of the classroom may be necessary in order to log miles in the air. Some classrooms may include this time, while others will charge extra for the equipment rental.
Tips to know:
- When looking for a school, make sure that the instructor is certified by the United States Hang Gliding Association. Make sure that you check the ratings of this particular professor with the organization. For more information, you can call 719-632-8300.
- Be sure to inquire and ask about the student to teacher ratio. It’s best to get into a class that will be able to give you a lot of one-on-one attention.
- Get a layout of what the lessons are going to entail. Most lesson planners are going to have a full outline on what the student is going to learn.
- Check the safety rating of the school and know how many students that they have taught in the past.
How can I save money?
- If you are serious about paragliding, consider taking a certification course to get a feel on what paragliding is all about. If you don’t like it, you’ll only be out a few hundred dollars rather than a few thousand.