How Much Does Pea Gravel Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Pea gravel is a type of gravel that consists of tiny round stones. This type of gravel is used on landscaping projects such as a new walkway or can even be used as a driveway. Pea gravel can also be found in fish aquariums. The cost of pea gravel is going to depend on the amount of gravel purchased and the company selling it.
How much does pea gravel cost?
- Pea gravel can come in many different colors that include brown and white. Common sizes of the gravel can measure 3/8″, 3/4″, 3/8″, and 3/4″. Most companies will only ship pea gravel by the ton. This gravel will be dropped off at the end of your driveway upon purchase.
- A decorative white or brown pea gravel can cost anywhere from $46 to $95 per ton. A ton is equal to 2,000 pounds. On average, 2,800 pounds can cover 1 cubic yard, which is 27 cubic feet. 1 ton can cover up to 40 square feet of area with a 1″ depth.
- A smaller stone pea gravel can cost anywhere from $42 to $63 per ton. A cheaper pea gravel that is used for fill can cost anywhere from $32 to $43 per ton.
- A bag of pea gravel that covers up to 0.5 cubic feet can cost anywhere from $2 to $7 per bag. For example, a bag of Southdown Old Castle pea gravel retails for $4 to $6.
- For example, the company EarthProducts.net located in Georgia sells pea gravel that ranges in price from $39 to $68 per ton.
Type of Pea Gravel
Price per Ton
$50 to $65
$70 to $90
$70 to $90
Egg Rock (White or Brown)
$60 to $90
$60 to $75
$60 to $75
$50 to $70
NOTE: 1 ton of rock can usually cover around 70 to 110 square feet if it’s 2 inches deep. It will greatly depend on the type of rock.
What are the extra costs?
- Depending on the quantity purchased, delivery charges may be extra. Shipping can start for as little as $25. If a certain amount is purchased, some companies are more than happy to waive the shipping fee. The distance can influence the price as well if the delivery has to be outside of their range.
- If the pea gravel has to be shipped relatively fast, many local companies can charge an expedited shipping fee.
- When shipped, companies will drop the pea gravel off on a tarp on top of the driveway. It will be your responsibility to move it.
- Having professional help unloading the pea gravel in the appropriate spots can incur additional labor charges. For example, if you want all the pea gravel spread to create a driveway or walkway, the charges can start at $15 per hour.
What is going to be included?
- Pea gravel purchased from a local landscaping company can include shipping. A local truck will drop the load off at the end of the driveway on top of a tarp. It will be the homeowner’s responsibility to move the gravel to the appropriate spots.
- The colors of pea gravel can vary in many different colors. The most common colors that you will find can include brown and white. There are other tones that can tend to be lighter in tone.
Tips to know:
- For walkways, it’s best to use a smaller pea gravel to walk on.
- For driveways, try to use a slightly larger pea gravel that won’t stick inside of the tire’s tread.
- When buying pea gravel, it’s best to install the pea gravel at least 2 inches deep for the best results.
- When getting a quote, make sure that you offer the same information to each company. Let them know the size of pea gravel you want, the dimensions needed and how thick you want to spread it.
How can I save money?
- Consult with a few landscaping supply companies in the area. Prices can greatly vary from one another. If professional help is required to help install the pea gravel, consider using services such as Service Magic. It’s best to purchase from a local supply company so that delivery charges will be lower.
- Consider checking local classified ads such as Craigslist to see if any people have pea gravel for free. What people are finding is that builders commonly place free ads to have people come to the job site and will have them haul it away.
- If you can, consider picking up the pea gravel with a truck or trailer. If you have access to one, this is a great way to save a few extra dollars. By avoiding the delivery charges, it can help you save at least $25 to $45.