How Much Does Pig Feed Cost?
Pig feed is a mixture of food that is designed to feed and nourish pigs. When raising pigs, feed tend to be the biggest recurring cost.
How much is it?
- The price of pig feed will depend on the brand, the nutritional content and where it’s purchased from. On average, pig feed can cost anywhere from $15 to as much as $35 per bag. Like pet food that you purchase for your pet, the higher the quality, the more it is going to cost.
- For example, SilverMoonFeeds.com is an online retailer that sells different types of pig feed and the price varies depending on the amount that you buy. Pre-starter pellets can cost $22 to $26 per bag while shine pellets are available for $16 to $19 per bag. The prices also differ if you pick it the pig feed or if you to need have it delivered to your location.
- Tractor Supply is another store that offers pig feed. The store sells different types of pig feed that can be given to the different pigs depending on their age and condition. The price of the feeds that they sell ranges from $19 to $28 per bag.
What is going to be included?
- Pig feed can have several ingredients in it. It is specially formulated to offer the healthiest benefits the pig can get. The feeds can have varying effects on the pig’s body such as added rib shape and depth as well as adding freshness. Pig feed also provides maximum lean deposition.
What are the extra costs?
- Pigs need to have different types of food depending on their age. You will need to purchase the other types of pig feed depending on your pig’s condition as well. If the pig has some sort of health defect and requires a higher blend of pig feed, additional fees can apply.
- Having food delivered to you from a local supply company can often incur additional charges if a minimum amount is not purchased.
Tips to know:
- When feeding your pigs, make sure that they always have access to clean and fresh water. Water helps to dissolve the feed faster, which results in faster distribution of the nutrients in the pig’s body.
- If you have the pig feed in stock for a while, check first to see if it is already moldy. If this is the case, you may want to dispose of molded feed as it would have negative effects on your pigs.
- To get the maximum effect of the feeds, make sure that you give the pigs the proper type of feed for their age and condition.
How can I save money?
- If you breed a lot of pigs, purchase pig feeds in bulk. Pigs are notoriously known for their eating habits and they will need all the food that they can get. However, make sure that you do npt overstock since the feeds can grow mold.
- Check with different stores and compare how much they offer the feeds. Also, try to change the type of feed if you do not notice any effect of the current feed you are giving your pig.