How Much Does Pulled Pork Cost?
Pulled pork refers to the tender meat from a pork shoulder cut. It can literally and easily be pulled apart from the roast with your finger or a fork. Pulled pork is divided in two parts: one is the butt end and the other is the shank end. By butt, it does not literally mean the actual butt of the pig. Rather, it is so-called “butt” portion because it is that portion located in the rear end of the shoulder. Consumers prefer this part because it has fewer bones and less connective tissue. The shank portion, on the other hand, is so called because of its shank bone. Although it makes delicious pulled pork, you can readily notice that the shank part has a bit different texture and contains more connective tissue. This makes the pulled pork a little more tough and harder to chew. Pulled pork is usually served with different types of sauces and is used to make sandwiches.
How much does it cost?
- When prepared, the average serving of pulled pork at a local grocery store is going to cost around $3 to $7 per pound. Those who want to create pulled pork on their own should budget around $2 per pound plus the additional ingredients to prepare it.
- When hiring a professional catering company, most will charge around $10 to $14 per pound of pulled pork, plus a delivery fee.
- For example, at Sam’s Club, they sell a 64 ounce container of pulled pork for $13.
- If you want the freshest type of pulled pork possible, you should consider hiring a catering company to do a pig-roast. This can cost from $600 to $2000 depending on the number of people being fed. See: “How Much Does a Pig Roast Cost?”
What is going to be included?
- Pulled pork found in local grocery stores often come in 4-16 ounce containers. However, most can accommodate larger purchases with a call ahead of time. Every pound can make around 7 sandwiches.
- Those that want to create their own pulled pork recipe will need ingredients such as onions, garlic, seasoning, BBQ sauce, liquid smoke and the whole pork butt. A pork butt, on average, can cost around $1-$3 per pound.
- Typical prepared pulled pork comes smoked with a hickory barbeque flavor.
- If you hire a company to do a pig roast, the price will include many things. The company will start roasting the pig hours ahead of time so that it is tender and moist. They will usually prepare it with a few different types of sauces to satisfy everyone at the event. Once the pulled pork is complete, they will serve it to your guests; they will also provide sides and necessary items for a pulled pork sandwich.
What are the extra costs?
- You get to spend more for your home-made pulled pork if you use costlier ingredients. You will also need hamburger buns if are going to serve the pulled pork as a sandwich.
- You will spend more for a pulled pork sandwich at posh outlets than in an ordinary fast food chain.
- If you order your pulled pork online, a shipping fee may be charged.
Factors that influence the price:
- The cost of home-made pulled pork can vary according to your choice of ingredients and seasonings. There are seasonings that are more expensive than the others. The cost of pork may also vary depending on which store you get it from.
- The geographical location and the type of food outlet also matter in the pricing of pulled pork sandwich.
Tips to know:
- Pulled pork is a popular dish that is most often served on a bun with barbecue sauce. It can be served as the main entrée or as part of your pulled pork sandwich.
- Aside from putting pulled pork on a bun, you can actually make other recipes out of the pulled pork, such as tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or pulled pork salad. It even goes well with sauerkraut.
- Pulled pork is perfect for serving a crowd or for a fast dinner for the family.
- If you want to make your own pulled pork, there are a few simple things to remember:
- Purchase the type and amount of meat that you want to use. The meat should then be prepared by trimming off loose fat and skin, spread a rub all over it. When cooked, this will form a nice crust of the pig – this is known as “bark.”
- The rub used for pulled pork usually consists of brown sugar, salt, paprika, pepper, and herbs. This rub can be made at home or purchased pre-made.
- Smoking the pork is the best way to cook it. There are many types of wood that can be used for this, but the most common is hickory. This should be done for about an hour and a half per pound of meat.
How can I save money?
- Check and try other cheaper alternative ingredients and sauces to bring down your cost of pulled pork.
- Shop around also for cheaper sources of pulled pork. Perhaps, a meat shop in your neighborhood can give you discount if you are a regular customer.
- If you and your family are regular consumers of pulled pork, it might be cheaper if you buy it by the pound and not in cans. Check out local wholesale clubs who sell containers that are up to five pounds.