How Much Does Rice Cost?
Rice is one of the staples in most Asian countries since it is produced in that area in massive amount. But rice is also considered to be the most important staple food in the world. Rice is very labor intensive to cultivate and it also requires ample water. This is the reason that cultivation of this grain is done in regions with low labor costs and with high rainfall.
How much is it?
- There are different varieties of rice and this is one of the major reasons why the price of rice varies. Rice can also come from various parts of the world and the price of it may also depend on the location from which the rice came. If rice supply is low or if the particular type of rice is not cultivated locally, expect to pay higher prices for it.
- On average, a larger 15-pound bag of rice can cost $20 to $30, while a 25-pound bag can cost $25 to $35 per pound. Smaller bags that are under 2 pounds can be found at your local grocery store for less than $5.
- When purchasing rice, it is best to estimate around $1 to $2 per pound.
- Different kinds of rice such as Jasmine Rice can cost $12 to $16 for 2 bags that weigh 5 pounds each. Something such as a 15 pound, medium grain rice can cost $20 to $27 per bag.
- SairaCorporation.com is an online wholesaler that sells rice per metric ton and this rice can come in various types.
- For instance, Basmati rice can cost $975 to $1240 per metric ton while long grain rice can be purchased anywhere from $280 to $475.
What is going to be included?
- Half of the world’s population consumes rice, and this is the reason it is the most important staple food. Rice provides a great deal of energy to the body, but depending on the strain of rice, the nutritional value of it differs. The energy rice gives to the body dwarfs that of other crops such as potato and cassava.
- Most people are familiar with milled rice; this is rice that has been treated to become the white rice that we imagine when we hear the word “rice.” There are other varieties of rice that you can purchase such as brown rice which contains high fiber content that is good for digestion.
What are the extra costs?
- Commercial rice that is shipped by the metric ton can often incur shipping charges.
- Premium and brown rice can be considered a higher grade rice. Because of this, it can cost up to 20 percent more.
Tips to know:
- Rice is often boiled until it absorbs the water which makes it soft. A rice cooker is the primary appliance used to cook rice, but there are other ways to eat rice and there are hundreds of ways to cook it. Rice is the major component of rice cakes, popular in Asian dishes. Rice can also be made into wine and we know it as sake or rice wine.
How can I save money?
- Rice can be purchased in sacks or in big bags. This is considered to be cheaper especially if you consume it in great quantities compared to buying it per pound or kilo. You can stock the rice for a long time in your house so this is a great way to save.
- Rice has been said is one of the most wasted foods on the planet. Since rice is so small in size and is often eaten in scoops, there are leftovers that stay on the plate and are eventually thrown away. This may be considered a small amount of rice but you will need to consider the number of times this happens and multiply by the number of people guilty of this.
- If you just want to purchase a smaller one pound bag at your local grocery store, consider using coupons to save up to 50 percent off.