How Much Does Saffron Cost?
Saffron is a spice that has a sweet taste that is used in many various arabic, asian, pakistani, as well as other middle east countries. Found primarily in the Mediterranean, saffron spices can be found in your local Asian grocery store as well as your bigger based chains. The prices are going to greatly vary on the brand, where you purchase and other various factors.
How much does saffron cost?
- On average, a pack of saffron is going to cost anywhere from $5 to as much as $30 per pack. It’s going to depend greatly on the quality.
- By the pound, saffron tends to be the most expensive spice on the market. Requiring more than 150,000 flowers to produce a kilo, the price of saffron can range from $500 to as much as $4,500 per pound.
- The Spicy World Spanish Saffron comes in a 1 gram acrylic box. For each pack, it will cost anywhere from $7 to $10 per pack. For a pack of 3, the cost will be around $20 to $30.
- For the Frontier Culinary Spices, a pack of 1 will cost around $12 to $16 per spice pack. For a pack of 3, it will cost anywhere from $35 to $45.
- McCormick has a Spanish saffron that comes in a 0.06 ounce unit. This ranges anywhere from $13 to $22.
- For those that want packets, Hot Paella sells a pack of 5 for $5 to $10.
- According to an article on the UCC.edu website, retail prices for saffron can be as high as $315 per ounce or $5,040 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the brand, most come with a container that you can use to disperse the spice itself.
- Some spices come with sample recipes as well that may be on the packaging itself.
- Today, Iran is a major producer. They produce more than 90 percent of the world’s production. Once picked, saffron is immediately placed in air-tight containers. Saffron has a red tint based color that is slightly moist.
- Coming from a crocus flowering plant, this flower will only bloom in the fall. Growing higher than two inches, the burnt-orange parts of the flower are used for the spice.
What are the extra costs?
- Purchasing the Saffron online will more than likely have shipping charges as well. For those that have an Amazon Prime account, shipping is free on all purchases.
Tips to know:
- Saffron is going to come in two different forms. These forms are going to include powdered and threads. Since saffron can be used to make a dish look more appealing, it’s best to know the two differences.
- Powered saffron should be the last type of spice that you should consider. The reason many avoid it is because you won’t know how pure it is unless you personally know the supplier supplying it to you. If you insist on getting powdered saffron, consider doing it yourself.
- To create a liquid base, add up to five tablespoons of water. Bring it to a boil and let it sit in a pot. Leave it for a few minutes and place it in a jar once it looks like a liquid. To add flavor, consider adding vinegar or even wine instead of water.
- Be sure to know where your spice has originated from. Each spice is going to have it’s own potency, so it’s best to follow the recipes to ensure that it has been used properly. It’s best to look for saffron that has been graded by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO.) This organized was formed to monitor the grade of saffron as it’s shipped.
- Saffron is best stored in a cooler dry place that doesn’t have light. Make sure that you steer it clear away from any type of moisture.
How can I save money?
- If you know that you’re going to cook a lot of dishes, highly consider buying the spices in bulk. The more you purchase, the more you can save.
- The lower the quality, the less it’s going to be. Be sure to watch the price tag as you will find that the cheaper saffron may not be as good.
- If you don’t have the money to purchase saffron, consider other alternatives. These alternatives include annatto seeds, marigold blossoms, turmeric and safflower. All of these can have similar flavors at a fraction of the cost.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|