How Much Does Salmon Cost?
Salmon is a type of fish that belongs to the trout family. Salmon meat is prized for its taste as well as the health benefits that it provides to the body. Salmon are anadromous, which means they are born in fresh water; they then migrate to the ocean and return to fresh water to reproduce. Salmon can be purchased live or their meat can be bought fresh or frozen. There are different market forms of salmon sold all over the world. For example, some of their meat can even be used as filling for sandwiches. These different market forms of salmon can cost differently depending on how it was packaged as well as how it was manufactured.
How much is it?
- The price of salmon heavily depends on the seller as well as the type of salmon that you purchase. On average, salmon can cost anyhwere from $4 to $25 per pound. Wild salmon is going to cost the most. For example, a Coho or Sockeye Salmon is going to cost more than an Alaskan Salmon.
- Salmon filets such as a Copper River king, Alaskan king, and Columbia River king are sold for anywhere from $4 to $24 per pound depending on the type of salmon.
- A wholesale club such as Costco can have filets of Salmon already prepped. For something such as this, it could retail for $7 to $13 per pound. Keep in mind that this fish won’t be as fresh as one that you could find in a local fish market.
- Smoked salmon that is processed in a box can retail for $18 to as much as $38 for a 16 ounce box. For example, the SeaBear Smoked Salmon retails for $34 to $38
- SalmonGuy.com sells salmon that is boneless, flash frozen, and vacuum packed. They sell sockeye salmon fillets for $10 to $12 per pound. They also sell salmon in portion sizes that can cost anywhere from $12 to $14 per pound.
- Wild Pacific Salmon LLC is another company that also sells salmon fillets. They usually sell 5 pound fillets of the fish for $150 to $350. Ready to eat containers or salmon meat are sold for $75 to $100.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional cost involves shipping of the salmon; this price depends on the amount of salmon to be shipped. A 5 pound salmon can be shipped for $30, while each additional pound can cost $2. The shipping fees are fairly high online due to the packaging process.
What is going to be included?
- Some sellers will include several items to guarantee freshness of the salmon while it is being shipped to you. The packaging, dry ice, and handling will be provided by the seller to keep salmon fresh on its way to you.
How can I save money?
- Remember that salmon is a perishable good and keeping it frozen for a long time will make it lose its quality.
- Purchasing salmon at local fish markets is going to taste a lot better than a salmon filet at your local grocery store. It is best to compare quality rather than the price tag.
- If you’re going to purchase salmon on a daily basis, consider signing up with membership clubs. There are clubs out there that will offer discounts to those that sign up with a membership.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|