How Much Does Sawdust Cost?
Sawdust is commonly used by farmers. They may use it to mix with dirt and manure for their gardens and crops, or they can use it for bedding for animals such as chickens, horses, and cows. For commercial purposes, companies may also compress it into fire logs. This also makes the transportation of the sawdust much easier and less messy. The cost of sawdust depends on the manufacturer and quality of the material. There are some wood companies that will give their sawdust for free or for a very low cost.
How much is it?
- Usually, sawdust prices range from $5 to $15 per bag. Its price varies depending on the quality of sawdust and the type of wood from which it came.
- For bulk purchases, the cost can average anywhere from $2 to $6 per pound. It is not uncommon to find local construction sites or hardware supply companies to give it away for free.
- Sawdust is something that is fairly common to throw in horse stalls. The average stall can cost anywhere from $125 to $200 to fill up.
- According to a forum thread over at SOMD.com, users have asked what a basic load of sawdust would cost in order to fill up an entire stall for a horse. Users have stated that they had paid anywhere from $130 to as much as $175 to fill up an entire stall. This would greatly depend on the geographical location.
- For example, a bag of American Wood Fibers manufactured by American Wood sells for $5 to $7.
What are the extra costs?
- If you are going to buy the sawdust from a place a long distance from you or if you purchase it online, then you will probably have to pay extra for its transportation.
- Generally, you also need to pay for the loading process of the sawdust. This will require a machine that will load all the materials into the container. However, you can also pay for people who will manually scoop the sawdust to save money.
- If the sawdust has to be delivered as well as throw in a stall, etc, additional charges can apply depending on how far the company has to travel in order to deliver it.
What is going to be included?
- Sawdust will be packaged in a container such as a box or a plastic, compressed bag. Each bag should be free and clear of any debris such as big blocks of wood, etc. Heavier purchases that are over 50 pounds can be dropped in a location of your choice, such as a driveway. Consider laying down a tarp or piece of plastic to reduce the mess of having sawdust delivered.
How can I save money?
- You can save money by asking from different wood companies about the price of their sawdust. Find a company that gives their sawdust for free. Also, check out classifieds such as Craigslist in the free section.
- Besides Craigslist, there are free recycle sites such as Recycle.net that can help those find things such as sawdust. The quantities are going to vary and most are going to ask that you pick it up in person.