How Much Does Sealcoating Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Sealcoating a driveway is the process of applying a sealant to an asphalt driveway as a way to maintain it. It is recommended that you get your driveway sealcoated every one to two years. Asphalt can crack and crumble over time, especially if it is not level. Most of the deterioration of a driveway is caused by water. If there is an area in the driveway that holds water, or if water somehow seeps underneath the driveway, cracks can appear. In extreme cases, the asphalt can even crumble altogether. Sealcoating can help protect your driveway from this type of water damage. Sealcoating is usually done in the summer months, but can be done as early as May or as late as October. Most sealcoating companies are small and privately-owned so there are generally very many companies to choose from in each area. This allows you to shop around until you find a company you like. Some things to consider when checking prices are the type of sealcoat, how the sealcoat is applied, how many cracks there are in the driveway, the square footage, and if any repairs are needed.
How much is it?
- Sealcoat that is sprayed on will usually cost $.04 – $.05 per square foot, depending on the company. While this is the cheapest option, the sealcoat does not last as long because water must be added to the sealer in order for it to spray through a nozzle without getting clogged.
- Sealcoat that is brushed on will usually cost anywhere from $.07 – $.10 per square foot, depending on the condition of the driveway, and will last 1-2 years. Asphalt that has never been sealcoated or has not been done in many years will absorb much more sealer and will therefore cost a little more. Driveways with more cracks than average will coast a little more as well. Driveways that have few cracks and have been well-maintained over the years will be the cheapest ones to get done.
- Companies that use hot rubber crack filler rather than liquid crack filler will generally be slightly more expensive since hot rubber crack filler is much better quality.
- Most companies have discounted prices for businesses that need an entire parking lot sealcoated, usually around $.06 per square foot.
What is going to be included?
- The sealcoating company should first use a weed wacker along the edge of the driveway to remove any overhanging grass. The driveway will then be cleaned using a machine brush to remove any dirt or debris.
- Cracks are generally filled with either liquid or hot rubber before the sealcoat is applied.
- If there are any grease spills on the driveway, that area may not hold the seal. There may be special chemicals that can be applied to try to get rid of the spill.
- The company should use a smaller application brush around sidewalks, brick pavers, etc. to prevent getting sealcoat where it does not belong.
- The driveway should be taped off when finished so people are aware that it is wet and cannot be driven on for 24 hours. The company will usually put up a sign showing that the driveway is wet; this sign will also act as a form of advertising for the company.
What are the extra costs?
- Most companies allot for a certain amount of crack filler (usually around 50 linear feet). If a driveway has more cracks than the allotted amount it will cost about $.20 per linear foot for hot rubber or about $.10 per linear foot for liquid.
- If a driveway is excessively dirty, perhaps from overhanging trees or being off a dirt road, the cleaning of the driveway can cost $10-$50 more, depending on its size.
- If a driveway is lined with brick pavers or has some sort of design with brick pavers, companies will usually charge $20-$50 extra since it will take them so much longer to do the detail around them.
How can I save money?
- Having the driveway cleaned and weed wacked before the company comes can sometimes shave some money off your price.
- Many companies offer a discount for repeat customers, so finding a company you like and sticking with them can save money.
- Sealcoating can also be done yourself for about half the price; however, this is a lot of work, can be very messy, and usually does not turn out quite as nicely.
Tips to know:
- If you have just had a new driveway put it, it is recommended that you wait a year before it is sealcoated. Once it is a year old, you should get it sealcoated two years in a row to create a good seal. After this, you should get it sealcoated every two years.
How can I compare prices?
- Most companies do free estimates, so you can simply call around and get a few different companies to give you an estimate and choose the one you feel most comfortable with. Try services such as ServiceMagic as well to find a professional in your area.
- Many companies will give a discount to return customers. Find a company that you like and stick with it.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|