How Much Does Tailoring Cost?
Tailoring is the process when clothing such as suits, pants, jacket, and more is made to be a different size, length, etc. A tailor is going to be able to alter your clothing so that it fits you perfectly. Since most clothing on the shelves generally does not fit like a glove, a tailor is going to make this happen. The cost of tailoring is going to depend on the type of the clothing, what is going to be done, and other various factors.
How much is it?
- On average, the general rule of thumb is to take the original price of the clothing and expect to pay anywhere from 5% to 20% of the original cost for tailoring. For example, a suit purchased for $300 would more than likely cost anywhere from $15 to $60 have professionally tailored. On average, tailoring is going to cost in the range of $5 to $8o. This is going to greatly vary depending on the geographical location of the customer.
- Some retail shops may have a set fee no matter what the item is. For example, the ZOOTS Brookline Village branch in Boston, MA, will charge $22 for two items.
- Clothing such as shirts is less expensive than a suit. On average, a casual shirt can cost anywhere from $5 to $20 to have altered/tailored.
- Common items such as pants can cost anywhere from $10 to $50. See: “How much do pant alterations cost?“
- Dresses can be shortened for anywhere from $20 to $55, depending on the fabric and job that is going to be done. For example, a simple shortening can cost as little as $15.
- For example, the website AskAndyAboutClothes.com stated that it would cost around $16 to alter the body of a suit such as shortening the sleeves of it.
What are the extra costs?
- Travel tailors are available that can come straight to your home or to your business. If you want delivery as well as pickup, tailors are going to charge a delivery fee.
- Expedited tailoring may cost more, depending on the tailor. Most are able to complete the job within 48 to 72 hours.
What is going to be included?
- A tailor is going to be able to alter the clothing to fit your exact measurements. Before the article of clothing is altered, the tailor will measure your body to ensure that the clothing fits like a glove.
- A tailor is able to hem, shorten, customize, cut, design patterns, and so much more. They can also recommend styles that fit your personality.
How can I save money?
- Tailoring is a dying art. Check your local department stores as well as Google to find a tailor in your area. Talk with a few of them over the phone to get a good idea on what they can do for your. Many will give an estimate over the phone.
- For a simple job, consider talking with a local dry cleaner.
- Many tailors offer discounts to loyal customers. Once you find a good tailor, stick with the same one.
- If you have more than one suit to tailor, consider bringing in as many as possible at once. Most are going to be more than happy to provide a discount.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|