How Much Does The ACSM Certification Cost?
The ACSM certification is one that is geared toward individuals who want to become a personal trainer. This certification, which is recognized at a national level, will allow you to demonstrate safe methods to individuals in the areas of exercise, diet, and more. According to Pearsonvue.com, the exam itself is going to focus on many areas such as prescription training, exercise physiology, weight management, and more. The cost is going to vary depending on how much training is needed, the location, and other factors such as cost of living in your area.
How much is it?
- For those that are members of the ACSM, the American College of Sports Medicine, the cost will be around $225. For those that are not members of the club, the cost will be higher at an average of $280.
- Failing the test will result in a re-test fee. This fee costs an average of $150.
- Every three years, it is required that you re-take an up-to-date test. This is going to cost the same amount of money, which will be anywhere from $100 to $200.
What are the extra costs?
- In order to study for certification test itself, workshops and study material will need to be purchased. Combined, workshops and study material is going to average anywhere from $150 to as much as $850. These tests will have to be taken at a testing center that is approved by the ACSM.
- For those that have a harder time learning on their own, a tutor may be required in order to help you comprehend things better. This can cost anywhere from $10 to $50 per hour, depending on who you choose.
- If you want to become an ACSM member to save on the testing fees, a membership will cost extra.
- Purchasing study guide and test preparation books outside of the classroom material will result in additional charges that can start at $5 and go up from there. There are also study guides online that can be purchased where the potential applicant can answer mock test questions and more.
- Every three years, the test will have to be retaken which results in an additional fees.
What is going to be included?
- If you pass the test, a certification will be administered in your name. Failing to pass the test will result in a re-test fee. Be sure to be prepared for the test as the fees can add up.
- The test will be anywhere from 125 to 150 questions. The test will take an average of 2.5 hours and will be available in just about any major U.S. city.
Tips to know:
- Most that take the test and pass have found that it took upwards of 6 months to full understand the material.
- While it’s not necessary, these tests don’t have to be taken. Consider this accreditation only if you feel that it will further yourself through your career.
How can I save money?
- Purchase recommended study books used online. E-commerce-based websites such as Amazon are great places to start; here you can purchase books for as little as a few dollars.