How Much Does the Roku Cost?
The Roku is one of the many devices that people can use to stream media. Streaming media refers to the transfer of different files, such as tv shows, movies, sports, etc., from a provided to an end-user. The main thing that distinguishes streaming from other types of media presentation is that the files watched while streaming can be viewed while they are being downloaded rather than having to wait until the download is complete. Roku players are well-recognized when it comes to streaming TV networks and movie services. Available in LT, HD, 2 XD and 2 XS models, Roku players offer more than 700 entertainment channels, have built-in WiFi b/g/n compatibility, and will stream at least 720p resolution content from Netflix, HBO Go, Hulu Plus, Vudu, and many more. While the cost of a Roku streaming player usually depends on the features and capabilities it offers, it can likewise be influenced by the source from which it is purchased.
How much does it cost?
- Roku directly sells streaming player prices starting at $49.99 for the Roku LT. Roku HD costs $59.99, while Roku 2 XD costs $79.99. The top-of-the-line Roku 2 XS costs $99.99. The Roku LT comes with over 700 entertainment channels and plays 720p HD video. The Roku 2 XS is the fully loaded model that has all the features of all Roku players plus the ability to play full HD video (1080p) and comes with a motion control for games.
- At PriceGrabber.com, Roku players are sold by various merchants at discounted prices. For instance, the Roku LT has an average cost of $49, while the Roku LT model and Roku HD averages $58. The newer model such as the Roku 2 XD averages $69.99, and the Roku XS is $89.99.
- Amazon offers the following Roku models and their corresponding prices, Roku LT – $49.99; Roku HD – $57.99; Roku 2 XD – $69.99; and Roku 2 XS – $94.98.
- Overall, you can expect to spend from $50 to $90 for the Roku.
What is going to be included?
- When buying a Roku streaming player directly from the company, the following are included: an IR remote or a game remote (for model 2 XS; 2 AAA batteries, or 2 AA batteries for model 2 XS), an A/V cable, an A/C power adapter, a Getting Started guide, a 30-day money back guarantee, and a 90-day hardware warranty.
What are the extra costs?
- A 6-ft HDMI cable is advisable if you want top HD video and digital audio quality. This will cost $9.99 when bought directly from Roku and up to $25 when purchased at retailers.
- A Roku mounting system may also come in handy if you wish to attach the player to the back of your TV. It costs $9.99 at Roku and is sold by retailers at the regular price of $30.
- If you are going to use the Roku to stream media from providers such as Netflix or Hulu, a monthly subscription will be necessary. This expense is paid to the provider, not to Roku.
Factors that influence the price:
- Features. There are four Roku models, each with different features and capabilities. The more features the player has, the higher the price will be. For example, the top-of-the-line Roku 2 XS, which costs $99.99, features motion control for games as well as an Ethernet and USB connectivity, which are not available in the less expensive models.
- Refurbished items. In general, factory-refurbished electronics are offered at all-time lowest prices, oftentimes up to 20% off the new price. Several suppliers, including the manufacturer itself, offer refurbished Roku players. These items are sold for up to 25% off the original price.
- Volume. Wholesalers are able to buy products in bulk and obtain substantial discounts in the process. Buying a Roku streaming player from a wholesaler can give up to 10% off from the regular price
Tips to know:
- Inquire about the warranty. Generally, Roku warrants players against defects in workmanship and material for a period of 90 days from the purchase date.
- When buying a refurbished Roku streaming player, make sure that the original documentations and accessories are provided.
- Ask about the warranty when purchasing a refurbished player. Purchasing a refurbished player from the manufacturer rather than from an independent re-seller is often recommended. The warranty may still apply or it may be transferred to you from the previous owner.
How can I save money?
- Search for products at independent outlets online as many of them offer wholesale prices.
- Find websites that have outlet sections offering deals of the week, newly discounted products, and clearance sales.
- Check nearby shopping centers or local areas for a wholesale electronics store or wholesale membership outlets.
- If you do not mind buying a previously used Roku streaming player, consider getting one of the refurbished Roku players that are often made available online at rock-bottom prices.
- Buy directly from the manufacturer as it offers free shipping on any Roku purchase.
- Because there are different features of the Roku, research each model to see which one is best for you. Do not pay extra for features that you will not even use.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|