How Much Does Venison Cost?
Venison refers to the edible meat of a deer. Venison is quite popular in gourmet cooking since it has a very rich flavor that is not found in other types of regular meat. The price of venison depends on the type of cut, the butcher, time of year and the geographical location.
How much is it?
- The price of venison can range anywhere from $5 to $90 per pound if purchased from a local butcher or game farm. Like any meat purchase, the cost will depend on the cut and butcher. Venison is either going to be found in local butchers who specialize in game animals or online.
- For example, Musicon Farm sells venison from different parts of the deer’s body. They sell whole carcasses, ribs, neck, saddles and hind legs. Each part of the deer that they sell will include the bones and is sold for anywhere from $5 to $36 per pound depending on the type of meat. This company requires a minimum order of $75.
- Venison can be made into different types of processed meat such as salami. Exotic Meat Market sells this type of meat as well as venison sausages and regular meat of varying types. They sell venison salami for anywhere from $30 to $150 depending on how much the product weighs. Regular cuts such as venison tenderloin is sold for anywhere from $80 to $90 with an average weight of 2 lbs.
What is going to be included?
- When you buy venison, the only thing included is the meat itself. Butchers will commonly package it in an airtight seal to ensure that it can preserve its freshness.
What are the extra costs?
- If you purchase the venison online, most may charge a minimum shipping fee. This will vary depending on the merchant.
How can I save money?
- Depending on the cut of the meat, the price may vary. Choose the type of cut that you want and look for the store that sells them at a reasonable price.
- Venison is not advisable to be consumed often; you may want to stick with regular meat such as beef to keep the cost low.
- Look for an independant hunter who is willing to sell the meat of a deer which he has killed. Sometimes these independant sellers will be cheaper than a store. The best way to find this is by word of mouth.