How Much Does Venison Cost?
Venison is one of the popular types of meat that people consume. Although the meat of other animals in the wild such as wild boar can also be considered venison, the game meat known as venison usually refers to the edible meat of a deer. Venison is quite popular in gourmet cooking as it has a very rich flavor that is not found in other types of regular meat. Venison is also enjoyed by people who hunt in rural areas in which other types of meat are rare and hard to come by. The price of venison differs depending on the store where it was purchased. Since venison comes from different animals, the price can be also different depending on which animal was killed to get the meat.
How much is it?
- The price of venison can range anywhere from $5 to $90 per pound if purchased from a local butcher or game farm. The factors that affect the difference in the price of venison also include the part of the body from which the meat was taken. Another factor that affects its price is the selling price the store charges for it.
- For example, Musicon Farm sells venison taken from different parts of the deer’s body. They sell whole carcasses, ribs, neck, saddles and hind legs. Each part of the deer that they sell will include the bones, and they are sold for anywhere from $5 to $36 per pound depending on the type of meat. This company requires a minimum order of $75.
- Venison can be made into different types of processed meat such as salami. Exotic Meat Market sells this type of meat as well as venison sausages and regular meat of varying types. They sell venison salami for anywhere from $30 to $150 depending on how much the product weighs. Regular cuts such as venison tenderloin is sold for anywhere from $80 to $90 with an average weight of 2 lbs.
What is going to be included?
- When you buy venison, the only thing included is the meat itself. Butchers will commonly package it in an air tight seal to ensure that it can preserve its freshness for month to come.
What are the extra costs?
- If you purchase the venison online, most may charge a minimum shipping fee. This will vary depending on the merchant.
How can I save money?
- Depending on the cut of the meat, the price may vary. Choose the type of cut that you want and look for the store that sells them at a reasonable price.
- Venison is not advisable to be consumed often; you may want to stick with regular meat such as beef to keep the cost low.
- Look for an independant hunter who is willing to sell the meat of a deer which he has killed. Sometimes these independant sellers will be cheaper than a store. The best way to find this is by word of mouth.